Job Reference: tbigc / TP / 22858 / 307
Contract Type: Fixed Term / Full Time
Contract Details: Ongoing
Working Hours: 40
Job Category: Advisory
Business Area / Division: Advisory – Africa
Business Unit: Nigeria
Focus of the Role
- The Project for Agriculture Coordination and Execution (PACE) in the Office of the Vice-President has been set up with responsibility for the coordination of the implementation of two flagship programmes: the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) and the Green Imperative (GI) – a partnership with Brazil to improve access to mechanization and technology in Nigerian agriculture. PACE also supports the implementation of the COVID-19 agriculture response (Agric for Food and Jobs AFJP).
- The Agro-Processing Lead will be assigned to work with the Office of the Vice President to help to establish enterprises for agro-processing and provide technical and business development services to service centre operators and cooperatives to ensure they are functional, sustainable, and able to meet food safety and regulatory standards. He/she will work closely with the Mechanisation Lead and the Good Agronomic Practices Lead and will report to the Mechanisation Lead.
- The role will require travel across Nigeria, and potentially to a few international locations.
- Develop recommendations for how to increase investment in agro-processing in the targeted value chains and states based on knowledge of industry and market needs, present and future to support crop production
- Promote agro-processing investment by the private sector in the targeted value chains and states, including post-harvest handling, aggregation, storage and certification
- Develop guides / templates for service centre operators on packaging and presentation of products based on industry knowledge
- Support the smooth and effective rolling out of the programme to secure private investors in the service centre operators and assembly plants under the Green Imperative
- Work with industry to understand how post-harvest products can be converted to value.
- Ensure a strong market link between agro-processors and input providers (farmers)
- Ensure a supportive business development eco-system for service centres to perform market-oriented processing for value addition of target commodities
- Assist service centre operators, including farmers’ organisations, in identifying and applying appropriate value addition and processing technologies
- Ensure a supportive eco-system of support for strengthening of community-based groups, associations, cooperatives, and enterprises for processing
- At least 8 years’ professional experience in agribusiness market systems, agro processing and supply chain management, food safety, preservation and storage, agriculture, and/or fortification including deep private sector experience, including in a manufacturing setting, preferred
- Undergraduate degree in in Business, Management, Agriculture, Food Sciences, Nutrition, Food Engineering, or Food technology, Agricultural Economics, or related disciplines
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Agricultural mechanisation, Business, Management, Finance or related disciplines
- Deep understanding of the agro-processing sector, with knowledge of relevant topics, such as: food production and processing, Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), worker safety, finance for growing businesses, and food systems value chain development
- Firm knowledge and experience of Quality management systems certification such as ISO
- Experience setting up agro processing businesses
- Proven track record in providing technical and/or business solutions to agro-processors, with experience implementing or advising on smallholder sourcing models
- Excellent understanding of value chain analysis, development and Good Agricultural Practices
- Strong project management, construction coordination and analytical skills preferred
- Proven track record in planning, implementing, and promoting farm mechanisation projects, plans or programs
- Strong team leader with proven field operations management experience
- Strong administrative and organization skills, commitment, attention to detail and strong forward planning skills
- Hands on approach to work, with the ability to deliver on deadlines in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment, with minimal or no supervision.
24th June, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND