Capital Markets Associate
Department: Investment Banking
- To provide cross departmental support on all deliverables and assist in the tasks being undertaken by deal teams.
- The position also includes providing general support on all administrative tasks to ensure the department grows into becoming and maintaining a leading position in the Nigerian Capital Markets (“CM”) space.
- The job holder is expected to also utilize the various CM products and activities as an avenue for cross-selling / securing a range of ancillary business for the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifying opportunities to provide CM solutions to local, regional and international existing and new customers
- Assisting in pitching opportunities (in coordination with CCB), securing and executing CM mandates in Nigeria.
- Developing a keen understanding of all regulations affecting CM in Nigeria and building relationships with relevant regulatory bodies
- Assisting in developing and monitoring budgets for the CM department, but specifically those transactions which the associate is responsible for
- Assisting in ensuring that relevant CM experience gained from our various activities (i.e., infrastructure, real estate, Power, Oil & Gas, Telecoms and Media) are fed into an overall database for the CM unit
- Staying abreast of new developments in the CM space, globally, regionally and in the local market
- Assisting in developing Capital Markets mandates for identified opportunities
- Reviewing, adapting manipulation and building excel spreadsheets and other comprehensive financial models for CM transactions including valuation models
- Providing support to other team members as and when required
- Assisting in preparing and developing of the department’s annual budgets
- Ensuring all requisite administration and filing matters for the CM department are up to date.
- Assisting in responding in a timely manner to market leads received from either CCB, subsidiaries of FBN Holdings or the external market
- Assisting and contributing to formulating innovative financing solutions to clients, other departments and First Bank
- Responding to client correspondence/contacts/relationships from an office management perspective
- Working alongside CCB and staff across FBN Holdings in delivering CM pitches to clients.
- Provide ad-hoc support jointly with CM team members (on an ongoing basis) to relevant areas of the company, First Bank and FBN Holdings for achieving overall coverage for ancillary business
- Preparing and distributing client Call Reports in a timely manner
- Perform calls (jointly with CCB) to existing and potential customers for marketing pitches and following up on pending documentation from live advisory mandates
- Undertaking “market-scan” jointly with CCB department to identify target customers both locally and within the region to establish basis for potential business
- Undertaking financial analysis of company / projects and financial statements and preparing brief internal reports based on findings
- Undertake the completion of project deliverables (i.e. Information Memoranda, Project Timetable, Financial Models, Valuation Models Term Sheets, etc.)
- Prepare and review internal memos and any supporting Capital Markets proposals for all mandates.
- Ensuring Work-In-Progress Reports (ELCO papers, presentations, Monthly Performance Highlights, and Board reports) are submitted as and when required
- Prepare transaction summaries, identifying key follow-up and monitoring steps after transaction closing for the benefit of other business groups
- Provide support during negotiations with potential investors on transactions and other project parties.
- Ensure the department’s client and other administrative files (executed mandate letters, invoices, due diligence reports, term sheets, consultants report etc.) are fully up to date and readily available for any internal and or external audits as and when required and to discuss, respond and react to comments raised by the audit / risk / financial control departments
- Assist in any co-ordination / ongoing contact with Chief Risk Officer in connection with existing transactions, obtaining guidance for risk management approvals process and assist in the co-ordination and delivery of customer documents at transaction closing
- Provide support and input in the preparation of the CM business plan in a timely manner prior to the end of each calendar year and to assist in ensuring its execution.
Education / Professional Qualification:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Second Class Upper division) in a Finance / Business / Economics related course
- Master’s Degree or an MBA in a finance, business, economics or a related discipline (or a finance related professional qualification) would be a major advantage.
- About 8 years investment banking specific experience, preferably having hands-on experience in financial modelling, pitching, originating, structuring, regulatory engagements, executing, negotiating, and closing transactions across a range of sectors.
- Good understanding of the dynamics of the Nigerian and international capital markets, across most key sectors – power, infrastructure, telecoms, oil & gas, FMCG, real estate, and to a lesser extent mining and metals.
Key Competency Requirements:
- Sound economics and business acumen
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Must possess robust analytical skills
- Dexterity/capacity to execute a minimum of at least four transactions at any time and at any stage of the execution process
- Customer services orientated.
- Ability to drive, motivate and lead deal teams
- Strong administrative skills and multi-tasking abilities.
- Ability to devise, present, and implement innovative financing solutions.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Location Lagos USD Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification MBA/MSc/MA