Child Protection in Emergency Officer
Job Number: 21000223
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team: Nigeria Country Office
Post Type: National
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- This position is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design and implementation of the child protection components of Save the Children (SC) Nigeria’s emergency response.
- S/he will need to co-ordinate with other Emergency Response team members and SC staff, especially Implementation Management, health, education and other relevant technical sectors, to ensure a rapid, proportionate and effective response.
- S/he will need to ensure response to immediate child protection issues with simultaneous consideration of longer term needs and possible scenarios.
- Depending on the situation the specialist may need to take a very active role in technical co-ordination, support and advocacy with the country specific child protection Clusters and other stakeholders and technical agencies relevant to the sector.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Direct Report – CPiE Coordinator
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Programme Support (typically will be at field level):
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for technical supervision and training of all CPiE partners and community structures on CPiE principles
- Daily supervision of the Child protection sector
- Ensure that the Save the Children (SC) and the CP code of conducts relating to SC and partners personnel are rights based approach and implemented throughout projects
- Ensure that all activities under his/her supervision are conducted so as to comply with the obligations of the SC beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders under his/her jurisdiction, in accordance system of quality supervision , including the CPiE minimum standard and SPHERE standards
Program Implementation and Development:
- Assess CP and assistance needs of the children at schools, homes and camps entirely on a regular basis, with due consideration to age, gender, and diversity/vulnerability
- Identify gaps in service provision to Internal Displaced Children, with a special attention to children and youth, and proactively referring and advocate for those gaps to relevant in coordination with the Field Manager and CPiE coordinator
- Ensure that the voices of boys, girls through Children Clubs and Child and Youth Groups with specific needs are heard
- Identification of vulnerable children in need of assistance, with the involvement of the community and based on transparent vulnerability criteria
- Establish/maintain a regular system of project evaluation and progress monitoring, using both qualitative and quantitative indicators, data collection, feeding into program adjustments and regular reporting as well as advocacy and new programme development
- Undertake any other roles as may be assigned by the Field Manager
- Co Lead with the Ministry of Gender, Education and Women Affairs and social development through the SEMA and NEMA the CP Sub Cluster and any other CP coordination meetings as requested
- Coordinate with the sub CP clusters in order to assure that adequate and children centered educational solutions are taken in consideration in the strategic planning of activities.
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems are in place for all field activities
- Report weekly, monthly and quarterly on Child protection in the field as requested.
- The Child Protection in Emergency Officer is the technical supervisor for all community structures and other partners In addition to this task, she/he is the supervisor for the incentive Child protection committee , approximately fifty individuals
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills & Experience
- Minimum of a First Degree qualification – B.Sc / B.A / HND in Social work, Social Science, Development Studies or equivalent combination of relevant training and experience
- Minimum of 2 years post NYSC progressive experience in Protection work, supervision, community mobilisation and distributions and solid understanding of the actual Nigeria Emergency context.
- Proven ability to supervise a CP project with holistic approach and integrated to child protection right
- Speaking fluent English, and other languages of Northern Nigeria is an advantage
- Computer literate.
- High level of personal integrity, commitment and professional responsibility
- Excellent communication skills, and able to use HF, VHF radios
- Team player with strong leadership skills
- Mature personality with life experience is an advantage
- Able to be a self-started and work in challenging contexts and fragile environment.
29th March, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Damaturu, Yobe NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND