Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2021/002
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The cleaner is responsible for cleaning and tidying the Mercy Corps facilities as well as proving light clerical and administrative support as and when required.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Maintain the cleanliness of the interior areas of the office and guesthouses including rooms, offices, kitchen facilities, common areas and bathrooms; sweeping, dusting, washing, garbage disposal, etc in accordance to the set schedule.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the exterior areas of the offices and guesthouses including sweeping, watering of the plants, gardening, garbage disposal, etc.
- Do the laundry of guesthouses (clothes, curtains, sheets, towels, etc.).
- Identify needed repairs in the office, guesthouse and premises and alert Administrative Officer for action.
- Ensure adequate supply of drinking water and cleaning materials are maintained all the time.
- Assist the Operations team in all other office or guesthouse related activities as required.
- Be available to help the Operations team to organize and plan for meetings and gatherings.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Personal Hygiene: all staff working in the office or guesthouse must have very clean hands and nails. Wash hands thoroughly with soap before doing any work. All working clothes used must be clean.
- Kitchen Hygiene: all working surfaces must be kept clean and tidy at all times and floors must be cleaned daily.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Administrative Officer
- Works Directly With: All staff.
Knowledge and Experience
- Responsible, trustworthy, punctual, and clean.
- A working knowledge of English is desired.
- Must have initiative and work largely unsupervised.
- Understands the importance of cleanliness and hygiene.
- SSCE / GCE / NECO qualification.
- 1 year Experience.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Strong commitment to teamwork and accountability.
- Willingness to learn and to be trained
- Good spoken and written English and knowledge of local language Hausa, Babura etc.
10th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3
- Minimum Qualification SSCE