Consultant – Revision of the National LARC Training (Manual Review)
Job Type: Consultancy
Duration: 28 working days
Department: Clinical Services
Job Category: Health
Job Status: Interviewing
- At the 2012 London Summit on Family Planning (LSFP), Nigeria pledged to double its contraceptive prevalence rate (CPR) among married women from 15 percent to 36 percent by 2018. As a means of achieving this goal, the FMOH developed a family planning costed implementation plan which was launched in 2014. The government of Nigeria renewed its FP 2020 commitments at the 2017 London FP2020 conference, with the aim of accelerating the country towards achieving an mCPR target of 27%.
- The country has made significant progress in implementing the national FP Blueprint (2013 – 2018), which has as part of its operationalization the development and roll out of the Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARC) curriculum for training both for CHEWS and for nurses and doctors to build capacity of existing public sector healthcare providers in LARC provision.
- The revision of the competency based LARC manual which was used to training service providers over the last 5 years is due for review to include aspects which are contemporary and will go a long way in achieving the country’s overall LARC strategies.
- There is no doubt that over the years, certain issues as consent, values clarification, incident reporting, gender and SSV approaches are some of the gaps identified with the current document.
- A consultant is required to work with key stakeholders to refine the manual as well as define activities to achieve the strategies.
- The purpose of this assignment is to work with FMoH and key stakeholders within the FP space to update he manual to become more relevant and applicable to the current Nigerian context.
Methodology and Specific Tasks for Consultant
This work will be carried out through stakeholder meetings and discussions/engagement with key stakeholders in the relevant FP Thematic area. The specific tasks include:
- Conduct a quick desk review of the FP Thematic area, including the status of implementation of the current LARC manual.
- Work with the MSION and FMOH for review meetings and stakeholders meetings.
- Conduct two stakeholders review meetings to determine progress made as well as challenges LARC training in the country.
- Conduct key informant interview of key partners within thematic area of the FP landscape.
- Develop detailed descriptions for activities, timelines and indicators for the thematic area of the Blueprint.
- Present draft manual and supportive supervision report.
The outputs are required with this consultancy:
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations, background reference briefing materials for the review meetings
- Report of the review meetings and key interviews
- Draft reviewed LARC and SSV documents.
Time Requirements and Duration
The work is expected to take 28 working days. Actual timing will depend on the schedule for the review meeting and stakeholder interviews including the FMOH:
- Meeting with Head RH Division FMOH
- Conduct a quick desk review of the LARC manual & SSV tool, including the status of implementation.
- Conduct 1st stakeholders review meeting including the development of Activities
- Conduct key informant interview of key partners within thematic area of the FP Delivery landscape
- Refine the manual contents modules and sessional contents based on the review meetings
- Conduct 2st strategy review meeting with the sub-committee of the NRHTWG
- Conduct Validation meeting in collaboration with FMOH and MSION.
- Prepare strategy draft report.
Qualifications of Consultant
- Degree (s) in a Health field highly relevant to the nature of the work
- Demonstrable understanding of the development and content of the LARC manual strategic documents and action plans
- Demonstrable understanding of the development and content of national health policy, strategic documents and action plans
- Strong writing skills in English
- Strong communication skills for achieving consensus amongst multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience working with multiple stakeholders on writing a strategic document
- Experience working with FMoH.
27th September, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates/consultants are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for delivery of the assignment to the email below. The short EOI should include:
- Proposed methodology and any comments on TOR
- Clear work plan including outputs/deliverables and detailed time frames
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month