Deputy Response Coordinator – Operations
Requisition ID: 2022202054
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
- The Deputy Response Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to assist the Response Coordinator with the management of all humanitarian activities at the field level.
- Under the supervision of the Response Coordinator, the incumbent will fill a critical role on the response team in country overseeing all program staff and program activities from the field office, as well as program support functions related to the project.
- Oversee on-site humanitarian response including management of programs, personnel, logistics, security, fundraising, external representation and transition planning.
- Manage and mentor field staff including technical leads, HR, logistics, grants and administration, finance, monitoring and evaluation, and others at the field level to create a strong foundation for emergency programming.
- Lead, oversee and coordinate field assessments of emergency needs and develop a response strategy in collaboration with host country government, the UN system, other humanitarian organizations and the Crisis Response Team (CRT), as well as Regional and Country management teams as appropriate.
- Design, develop, resource (people and funds) and implement emergency response programs that meet the near and longer-term program objectives needs of an affected community.
- Oversee quality and consistency of programs through on-site monitoring to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
- Advocate with and/or advise peer agencies, local governments, donors and other stakeholders to influence responses to promote delivery of inclusive and high-quality humanitarian services.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with FHI 360 policy, procedures and practices throughout the program; recommend country or emergency specific policy/procedures as required.
- Coordinate with country office (if applicable) and HQ to troubleshoot any issues; make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Conducts analysis of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
- Provides leadership and team building.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of diverse scope that require analysis or interpretation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Builds productive working relationships with internal and external staff.
- Decision may affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Receives methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- May provide guidance to other lower level personnel.
- Typically reports to a Crisis Response Coordinator, Director or Country Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent – Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- Certification and/or Degree in logistics and/or supply-chain management preferred.
- Typically requires 5 – 8 years leading complex on-site emergency response projects and/or programs; including 3 – 4 years of project management and/or emergency response experience
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries preferred.
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct.
- Experience working with Office of US Foreign Disaster (OFDA) and US Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (State/PRM) preferred.
- Certification in project management preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in multi-sector project management and implementation.
- Demonstrated work planning and scheduling, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; French or Arabic skills advantageous.
- Experience operating in insecure environments.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- Greater than 25%
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Maiduguri, Borno USD Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND