Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Length of Contract: Indefinite
Role type: National
Travel involved: 20%
Child safeguarding level: TBC
Reporting to: Line Manager: Country Finance Manager
Direct reports: Country Office Account Officers
Dotted line manager:
Country and Project Background
- The Malaria Consortium office in Abuja, Nigeria oversees MC programmes in Nigeria include state offices as well Sierra Leone country office
- Since commencement of operations the country portfolio has gradually increased to 8 by 2012 with funding from different donors
- However, the portfolio has reduced to 3 due to closure of some big project and active business development activities have commenced to increase the portfolio
- As at December 2016, there are 5 proposals either at the point of signing contract, awaiting feedback from donor or preparation for submission of proposal.
- To maintain and control the completeness and accuracy of the financial system for the Nigeria office, and provide a full accounting service to all projects in reporting all transactions to the Nigeria Head office accurately on a timely basis.
Scope of Work:
- The Financial Accountant is responsible for overseeing the internal control and compliance functions of MC Nigeria programme portfolio; including audit, financial review and compliance.
Key Working Relationships:
- The Financial Accountant will support and report to the Country Finance Manager but will interact with the Financial Controller (FC) to ensure internal control system is adequate
- The Financial Accountant will work closely with management, technical and operations team in country.
- Members of the finance team in the country office, including the Financial Accountant are five in number but the Financial Accountant will work closely with other finance staff in all programmes in MC Nigeria portfolio, which are four in number as at December 2016.
Financial Administration (10%):
- Act as the first point of contact for projects and programmes payment queries
- Assist the Country Finance Manager with queries relating to all projects report
- Manage and oversee the entry of all Nigeria Naira payments and receipts into the GL for MC Nigeria programme portfolio
PS Financial System (20%):
- Check the correctness of coding, completeness of financial documents and review the batches of invoices and payments prior to posting to the accounting system
- Review all outstanding advances with the Abuja and filed offices Accounts Officers (as applicable) and ensure they are chased and cleared on the accounting system
- Make sure that all collections are made using MC receipt voucher and deposited to the appropriate MC account on time
- Make adjustments as necessary using a Journal Voucher (JV) and keep the JV form sequentially in file, after approval by the CFM
- Prepare monthly reports to the CFM to a set monthly finance timetable which comprises the following:
- Bank reconciliation statements including copy of bank statement
- Aged list of outstanding Advances and Other ledger balances
- Fixed asset register update and Spot Check reports
- Authorised Petty Cash Count Certificate and reconciliations o Monthly timesheet update
Field Offices (10%):
- Arrange for timely fund transfers to the field offices and ensure proper accounting of transfers Review transactions and monthly returns of the field offices for error and accuracy
- Check correct procedures are followed for all transactions
- Support the field offices to close the books of accounts on monthly basis according to the finance timetable Support in the preparation and review of bank reconciliations for the field offices
- Carry out regular visits to all field offices to ensure quality in all aspects of finance management and support finance staff Conduct orientation of new finance staff at all levels in the field offices
- Act as conduit between field offices and Country Office in Abuja on issues resolution Provide training and build capacity of the project team based in the field offices, in order to continuously improve the finance systems
Human Resources (5%):
- Manage all Account Officers in the country office
- Work with the account officers to set personal objectives for continuous development and performance expectations in coordination with the CFM and carry out performance review at regular intervals and at an annual review including the setting of objectives for the year
- Manage and provide active support, capacity building, motivation and leadership to the Account Officers Approve timesheet for Account Officers and delivery to the CFM on time
- Manage the Account Officers to coordinate staff absences in covering all gaps and handovers prior to any leave
Finance Support to Additional Assigned Programme Activities (5%):
- In consultation with the Country Finance Manager, take the lead in planning, implementing and review the finance aspect of the additional assigned programme activities
- Assess and mitigate any financial risk to MC in carrying out these programme activities
- Ensure all individual involved in these additional assigned programme activities are abreast and comply with finance, procurement and other relevant procedures of MC
- Ensure all advances are fully retired, budget / expenditure analysis prepared for all the additional assigned programme activities
Compliance and Internal Control (20%):
- Conduct periodic internal Control review and compliance visit to the field offices to ensure all procedures are adhered to Identify compliance and internal control weaknesses and make recommendation on the way to correct lapses and forestall reoccurrence
- Produce monthly review report and field visit report including monthly trackers on all internal control and related issues and follow up for prompt resolution
Qualifications and Experience:
- Essential: Qualified ICAN, ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant
Work-based Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel Working knowledge of accounting software
- Good analytical and reporting skills Strong ability to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks
LEVEL C – Supports others to achieve results:
- Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets
- Supports others to plan and deliver results
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks.
Analysis and use of Information:
LEVEL B – Uses evidence to support work:
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address business needs.
Interpersonal and Communications:
LEVEL B – Fosters two-way communication:
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively.
Collaboration and Partnering:
- LEVEL B – Collaborates effectively across teams:
- Actively collaborates across teams/partners and stakeholders to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people.
Leading and Motivating people:
- LEVEL B – Manages own development and seeks opportunities:
- Manages own development and performance positively
- Learns lessons from successes and failures
- Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise.
- LEVEL B – Manages own development and performance positively:
- Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
- Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Learns from own successes / mistakes.
Living the Values:
- LEVEL C – Supports others to live MC’s values
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly
- Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences.
Strategic Planning and Thinking and Sector Awareness:
LEVEL A – Manages own workload effectively:
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan
- Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives.
16th September, 2019.
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month