LTA Consultancy – Graphic Designer
Location: Abuja, Home-Based, NIGERIA
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: One
Expected Duration of Assignment: One (1) year
Starting Date: (Date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 1st October, 2019
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive growth sustainably to improve the quality of life for everyone. On the ground over 170 countries and territories, we offer global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
- UNDP in Nigeria is seeking services of a graphic designer to develop a series of promotional materials (e.g. calendar, posters, flyers, etc.), publications (brochures, booklets, reports, leaflets), panels exhibitions, and social media campaigns materials to support UNDP’s efforts in implementing projects, to communicate results and impact on the ongoing interventions across the country, including in responding to the Boko Haram crisis in the North-East.
- UNDP collaborates with many partners including governments, civil society groups, NGOs, and other UN agencies in implementing its activities. The Communication Unit is responsible for ensuring quality of all visibility materials for UNDP in Nigeria.
- UNDP Nigeria seeks to compile a roster with qualified consultants to provide graphic designing services. For this purpose, UNDP is requesting bids from individuals based within and outside Nigeria.
- The consultant(s) will be engaged on as ‘as needed’ basis. In other words, when the office requires the services of the Consultant, a selection will be made based on availability at the needed time, value for money (fee rate) and expertise for type of product being developed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of Communication Unit, the consultant will be responsible for:
- Transforming text-based communications materials into visual graphic design materials such as infographic, brochures, backdrop etc.
- Develop designs for communication materials based on assignment brief
- Provide recommendations on the best and most relevant visual design style and materials suitable for the project’s target audience
- Liaise with and report to UNDP Communications Unit regarding any visual design work
Examples of deliverables are:
- Project brochures
- Project infographics
- Project factsheets
- Project Leaflets
- Project Posters
- Visuals for social media campaigns
- Layout design for project and annual reports
- Design for project communications collaterals such as: notepad, dug bag, backdrop, banners, t-shirts/hats, cards, calendars, etc.
- Custom photo editing (restoration, noise reduction, tonal adjustment
Deliverables will be required to be produced in a variety of formats including for digital and print distribution, depending on the needs of the office.
If and when any of the above services will be required, UNDP and consultant will agree on work input, number of working days necessary and deadline prior to commencement of work. Detailed specifications for each individual assignment will be given to the selected designer as and when the designer’s services are requested.
For each agreed communication products assigned the contractor will:
- Design and layout the assigned communication product
- Submit the preliminary layouts for discussion with UNDP
- Revise the selected layout as discussed with UNDP
- Submit a draft to UNDP for proofreading (up to 4 rounds of corrections to be covered under the agreement)
- Ensure all corrections have been inserted
- Obtain a final sign off from UNDP before submitting electronic files to the printer
- Prepare the electronic files for the printer
- Send electronic files to printer and liaise with printer during printing process, receive and mark up final blueprint with final corrections from UNDP
- Make final corrections to electronic file
- Create PDF from final electronic file for UNDP Web posting
- If the project is to be done in multiple languages, same proofreading procedure described above applies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or any other related qualifications including art and design.
- At least 5 years of work experience in graphic design.
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design, including the use of design software such as Adobe Design Premiere, In-Design, or similar; At least 3 examples of previous works to be listed
- Proven experience of graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and color management; At least 3 examples of previous works should be demonstrated
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Excellent graphic design and creative skills
- Proficiency in design software (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience in development of statistics, charts, and social networking
- Internet research skills, ability to handle and interpret data
- Good writing skills
- Be creative and proactive
- Flexibility to attend events during weekends
- Desire to work with and gain the confidence and respect of people with different language, national and cultural backgrounds.
- Respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter and the UNDP Statement of Purpose
- Ability to respect timeframes and meet deadlines.
- Written and spoken proficiency in English.
- Fluency in a local language, an asset, but not a requirement.
19th September, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND