Head, Financial Advisory
Job ID: 49085
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Job Sector: Banking
- Investment Banking provides clients with a range of advisory and financing solutions. Specialising in high-growth emerging markets, our expert advisers work on mergers and acquisitions, capital restructurings and empowerment deals, as well as arranging finance for acquisitions, client projects and property transactions.
- A Senior banker position with overall responsibility for the Advisory business in Nigeria, including developing and implementing the overall strategy of the business.
- Overall responsibility for origination and ensuring flawless execution of deals.
- Continuously reviews potential business opportunities of high complexity in the corporate finance arena including mergers, acquisitions, company restructuring and management buy-outs.
- Manages relationships with clients, regulators and other stakeholders.
- Overall responsibility for building capacity, including recruiting the required staff complement and coaching and developing team members.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Origination and Execution of deals:
- Responsible for identifying and sourcing complex Corporate Finance opportunities in both Nigeria and global markets for new and existing financial products to enhance revenue.
- Advise key clients in respect of mergers, acquisition, capital restructuring, capital raisings, leveraged buy-outs and valuations.
- Manage across all stages of transactions, including conception (pitching), execution, documentation and closing.
- Includes all sectors within the Nigerian corporate landscape and both local and cross border transactions outside of South Africa
- Support development of the Rest of Africa franchise through origination of deals and pitches with the Corporate Finance teams in South Africa, Ghana and Kenya.
- Ensure effective management of deal teams in the context of both parties and live transactions and training of analysts in all areas of Corporate Finance.
- Develop relationships with existing and potential clients from initial negotiations to closure.
- Ensure execution of transactions in accordance with product approvals
- Oversee documentation, models and presentations including term sheet, business valuation models, teasers, information memorandums, etc.
- Lead negotiations and structure lending opportunities with counterparties, lead internal approval processes, finalise lending structures and terms, review and perform due diligence investigations, execute and close the transaction including documentation, obtain final internal approvals
- Tailor complex and comprehensive financial solutions for key clients (including structuring, advising, modelling, documentation, implementation and administration for the term of the transaction).
- Identify issues which are varied and often deal specific.
- Act with a broad outlook and look to identify the key issues on an ongoing basis and determine strategies on how to address these. This will include commercial considerations, financial analysis, technical analysis, stakeholder requirements and certain legal parameters.
Strategy development and Business Performance management:
- Provide strategic direction for Financial Advisory whilst aligning the objectives with overall Investment banking goals.
- Take full responsibility for the balance sheet and income statement of Financial Advisory.
- Take overall accountability for the achieving aggressive profit targets for the business.
- Continuously evaluate the external environment and assess the impact on the BU’s activities. Where required, make any necessary changes to plans.
- Communicate the strategy to the Financial Advisory team and ensure a deep understanding across the whole business.
- Proactively develop relationships with key external stakeholders including local regulators relevant to the business, product heads, key suppliers and external regulatory bodies to ensure Standard Bank gets appropriate co-operation when required and that the Group meets and is seen to meet regulatory compliance.
- Manage relationships with internal stakeholders being Head of Research, Head of Debt Products, Global Markets etc.
- Build and develop relationships across the firm with various stakeholders with the intention of breaking down silos to maximise business growth.
- Hold primary relationship with clients and handle all aspects of client interaction including coordinating and execution of transactions.
- Monitor client account performance and service client needs tp retain existing clients.
- Together with the Head of Human Capital and Head of Investment Banking, determine the people strategy for the area with a focus on talent management, resourcing, development and retention
- Oversee the moderation and relative distribution of performance appraisals in line with overall business performance for the area.
- Mentor key managers and executives in the area on people management techniques and approaches. Motivate senior managers in the area to set the example on living the values and recognition.
- Review the overall development needs analysis. Approve training budgets and review actual spend to ensure that funds are being used.
- Review and approve succession plans for key roles in the area. Support the Talent Review process and approve nominations for the area.
- With support from Human Capital, interview and hire direct reports. Support managers with their recruitment decisions on request.
- Review consolidated headcount plans; reallocate resources between departments if needed.
- Approve / decline headcount within overall mandate.
Manage the risks in the business:
- Act as the executive sponsor for the area’s implementation of the Group’s risk management framework.
- Review and approve assurance and audit scope documentation as well as findings.
- Review open audit or assurance items and follow up with teams on open or overdue items.
- Oversee the development of risk metrics and risk appetite threshold setting.
- Drive a culture of proactive compliance.
- Interact with specialist risk areas (operational risk, financial crime risk management, information security risk etc.) to ensure that business risk management requirements are addressed in all these frameworks.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Qualification and Experience:
- A university qualification ideally in Finance, Law, Social Sciences or Commerce
- Master’s degree or a relevant professional qualification such as CFA or ACA would be an added advantage
- Minimum of ten (10) years experience in Mergers and Acquisitions or Corporate Finance
Knowledge / Technical Skills / Expertise
- Investment Analysis
- Company Valuations
- Deal Structuring
- International Market Knowledge
- Strategic Planning and Reporting
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Lagos Island, Lagos, Lagos, ,NG NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 10-15
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND