Health Officer (Logistics)
Job Number: 526143
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
The Health Officer will carry out the following activities related to the child survival and wellbeing program within the overarching health systems strengthening component of the health and HIV portfolio in Nigeria:
- Support the implementation of the primary health care supply systems strengthening policy working closely with the different departments in the Government and the health and supply teams internally.
- Support central level and central to State and below supply logistics for the entire health section programme including supply monitoring of all commodities associated with the health and HIV portfolio linked with the Government’s primary health care supply system strategy
- Work with the programme and supply section to ensure timely procurement of essential life- saving health supplies and services and track their shipment in country including last mile reach and use with a focus on the humanitarian supplies
- Prepare, disseminate and regularly on a weekly basis update procurement and supply distribution plan for the section and maintain a database of the supplies and commodities delivered for the section and monitoring the supply pipeline including alerts for action
- Support the needs assessment, review, quantification and procurement and documentation of use of Nigeria Kit 2017, IEHK 2011 and other urgently needed essential medicines for Emergency Response operations and outbreak responses including with campaigns
- Follow-up on state to LGA, to ward, to health facility to community distribution of supplies by making regular monitoring visits and creating a feedback mechanism to share lessons learnt and best practices across States
- Work with the program and Government to quantify commodities and supplies for prepositioning to mitigate OBR of Cholera, Lassa fever, CSM, Yellow Fever etc.
- Share weekly update of the analysis of the Inventory and dispatches dashboard to reflect the commodities delivered in-country either directly to partners or PPO in UNICEF WHs.
- Provide technical support and participate in all meetings with Government, including NAFDAC, FMOH, NPHCDA etc.
- Any other support related to the supply systems strengthening as needed in the program.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- First Degree in Health, Supply and Logistics Management, Pharmacy
- At least 1 year professional experience in supply/logistics and institutional contracts management at the national and state levels including experience in procurement and supply management systems
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of local working language of the duty station and various states an asset.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions and very good training skills.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Willingness to travel to remote regions of the country
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
18th September, 2019 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month