Income Generating Activities (IGA) Assistant
Requisition ID: req17478
Location: Damaturu, Yobe, Nigeria
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
IRC Nigeria Program
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in Northeast Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State.
- The IRC is responding at scale to the humanitarian situation across sectors including Education, Child Protection, Health, Nutrition, Women Protection and Empowerment, Environmental Health, Economic Recovery and Development, Protection and Rule of Law, and Governance.
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC Nigeria is currently expanding its education portfolio in the northeast of the country. A priority outcome for the Country Program is that girls and boys enroll in and attend safe, functioning, responsive education services. The IRC is currently implementing a two-year education project titled “Improving Access to Education for Conflict-Affected Children in Northeast Nigeria”.
- The project intends to reach 20,000 children in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe States with quality non-formal education services (literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills) and support parents and caregivers of beneficiary children with small business/income generating activities.
- The Income Generating Activities (IGA) Assistant will therefore be responsible for the overall coordination of the IGA related activities of the Project in either Damaturu/Yobe or Mubi/Adamawa.
- Support parents and caregivers of NFE learners with small business/income generating activities.
- Provide support to parents and caregivers on best strategies of sustaining small business.
- Support the M&E team in analysis of beneficiary data collected through the various tools that the education sector uses.
- Work closely with community structures to follow up on implementation of Income Generating Activities.
- Facilitate IGA related trainings for the target beneficiaries at the LGA level.
- Participate in developing of training contents and train the beneficiaries according to the schedule defined.
- Uphold the highest standard of confidentiality when managing records to ensure beneficiary dignity and privacy.
- Monitor progress towards the objectives and intended outputs pertaining Income Generating Activities using routine data, spot checks, observation, and other methodologies.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports on Income Generating Activities to supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Education Manager (State), with technical oversight by the Education Manager (Project) and the Economic Recovery and Development (ERD)Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Business Administration, Economics/Agric economics or any relevant field
- At least three years of relevant professional experience with an international or civil society organization, including direct implementation of education programming.
- Experience working with displaced or otherwise marginalized communities required.
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing.
- Good computer skills in programs including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure in challenging working and living conditions.
- Willingness to travel extensively in the communities, including to remote and/or insecure locations.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Location Damaturu,yobe NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 3-5