Laboratory Technologist (Technician)
SVN No.: SVN2021.037
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Center
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST), 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As Soon as Possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisorand the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in countryin Abuja, Nigeria.In particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination and post-examination activitiesthrough the use of the standard relevant equipment.
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the StandardOperating Procedures(SOPs).
- Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory,minding the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operateactivities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
- Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipmentappropriately following SOPs.
- Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitorthat the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
- Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information managementfor timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
- Participatein the improvement of the service systemaccording to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology or a related discipline
- At least twoyears of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a Laboratory:
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel andlaboratory operations.
- Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate datacollection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance; and,
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect fordiversityrespects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency:maintainhigh ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules andstandards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent,and committed manner and exercises carefuljudgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering resultsproduces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner;isaction oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledgecontinuously seeks to learn, share knowledge,and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring,and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
4th May, 2021.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.037 Abuja Laboratory Technologist (Technician),G4.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian Nationals only
- Location Abuja,Abuja,Abuja NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND