Location: Yaba, Lagos
- The Legal Officer shall be responsible for monitoring and/or advising on all legal matters, commercial contracts, and agreements.
- The Legal Officer shall also ensure the company complies with the statutory and corporate governance practices and guidelines as observed in the insurance industry.
- Ensures transactions are appropriately negotiated, documented, and implemented, losses arising from litigation are minimized, and legal issues carrying negative reputational consequences are avoided.
- Conducts any primary legal research required for purposes of preparing legal opinions;
- Draft a wide variety of legal agreements.
- Provide internal advisory services to the business units and departments within the Company.
- Provide commercial legal support to all departmental projects and job functions.
- Ensure the development of service level agreements for service support and delivery.
- Monitor the maintenance of the registers and other records required to be maintained by the Company under the Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA).
- Assist in the development of guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure (internal & external) compliance with laid down guidelines, policies, and procedures; investigate issues of non-compliance as may be required.
- Review and advice management on the legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements, and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- To ensure that legal opinions given on all matters are robust, well researched, and fully protect the overall interest of the Company.
- To vet/draft security documents in accordance with approved terms, evaluating critical issues pertaining to security documents and ensuring that they do not contain any irregularity.
- Assist the Documentation team when required, including drafting new formats of documentation.
- To prepare all litigation cases, ensure proper follow-up and report on the status of new and outstanding cases with proper escalation to Management;
- To introduce a prioritization process and turnaround time for all cases referred by the Recovery Department.
- To assist in the drafting of answers to plaints with summons and counter affidavits and ensure that, at all times, the interests of the Company are well protected.
- To keep up to date with amendments in legislation and advise on their implications for the Company.
Qualifications & Experience
- LLB Degree holder.
- Member of the Nigerian Bar Association.
- A minimum of 3 years post NYSC experience.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of corporate law; commit
- Legal experience in financial services ideally in handling legal cases, contract negotiation, and drafting with skills in leading a legal team, preferably in the Financial Services Industry.
30th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online