Local Security Assistant, GS6
Ref Id: 1905894
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract duration: 6 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Background and Justification
Purpose of the Position:
- To serve as Local Security Assistant to the WCO Field Security Officer in the coordination of all field security and safety matters at WCO and field offices in Nigeria.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objectives:
- To design and Implement appropriate policies and procedures to improve the security and safety of staff in WHO Nigeria offices.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of the incumbent within the team, the guidance and supervision received and training or briefing provided to others):
- Under the immediate supervision of the WCO FSO, the incumbent will provide assistance in the implementation of the security plan and all matters relating to safety and security operations and management.
Summary of Assigned Duties
Security Risk Management:
- Assist in the implementation of WHO Security Programmes:
- Ensure that security considerations are mainstreamed into WHO Programmes;
- Liaise with government security and law enforcement agencies on a frequent basis to assess the prevailing security conditions in areas where WHO Programmes are implemented to assess the local security conditions;
- Maintain a close working relationship with UNDSS through WCO Field Security Officer to review how best to enable the WHO programmes while reducing the risk exposure to staff members.
- Assists in maintaining the Country Security Plan:
- Update staff lists;
- Assist in maintaining the warden system.
- Assists the WCO Field Security Officer in monitoring compliance with Security Risk Management Measures.
Reporting and Liaison Responsibilities
Assist in establishing and maintaining contacts with:
- The Zonal FSO’s /LSA’s.
- National Security agencies in order to obtain the best information and protection for WHO staff, and operations;
- Security officials of diplomatic missions and international organizations, to share information pertaining to staff safety and security.
Communications System (CS):
- Assist in supervising a radio communication monitoring mechanism for routine radio checks, as appropriate;
- Assist in ensuring radio communication training is provided to drivers, wardens, other staff members as required;
- Establishing and maintaining communication links with the Zonal Security personnel, UNDSS and other agency security officers in the country.
- In Co-ordination with UNDSS ensure a 24-hour response to all security related incidents involving WHO staff and eligible dependents.
- Assisting in developing and implementing office security requirements;
- Assist in conducting office security surveys and recommending physical security measures.
- Assist in ensuring that fire safety arrangements (fire extinguishers, smoke detectors etc.) are in place at WHO offices.
- In conjunction with UNDSS preparing fire/building evacuation plans and conducting periodical drills.
- Assists in conducting residential security assessments of WHO international staff and recommending physical security measures to the staff member (on request provide this assistance to national staff);
- Preparing justification for residential security measures as required;
- Advising staff on any security implications with regard to the identification and contracting of domestic staff and where appropriate, security guards.
- Assists in providing all relevant security training;
- Provide security briefing and orientation to staff members and their eligible dependents;
- Provide Security Awareness Training to staff members with the guidance of the WCO FSO;
- Ensure timely updating of all Mandatory security training programs by all staff;
- Keep records of security briefings and training provided;
- Assist in the training of contracted security guards.
- Immediately reporting all security related incidents, involving WHO staff, eligible dependants and assets, to management through established channels of reporting.
- Following up on arrests and detentions of WHO staff members and eligible dependents.
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the WCO Field Security Officer:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to Host Country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Moving Forward in a Changing Environment
- Producing Result.
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
Good communication Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation; Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset:
- Knowledge of host country safety codes
- Ability to work in a team under pressure with minimum supervision; good analytic and training skills, organized and good sense of initiative.
- Be professional, discrete, organized, flexible and available at short notice.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Good knowledge of areas within the field office territory.
- Essential: Completion of secondary education with relevant training in security and safety issues. Military or Police background preferred.
- Desirable: A relevant university degree or equivalent with a focus on security is highly desirable.
- Essential: 8 years of previous relevant job experience in security and safety issues.
- Desirable: Experience in Military or Police background preferred. Work experience with UN or international organizations in security management functions, an advantage.
- English expert level required.
Other Considerations (e.g. Physical Workplace Condition, if other than normal office environment; IT Skills; etc.):
- Good computer skills: (MS Word; MS Excel; MS PPT).
7th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja NGN Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND