Maintenance Engineer – Finishing Plant
Job Requisition ID: JR000679
Location: Aba Factory, Abia
Job Type: Full time
Job Grade: G6
Report to: the Chief Engineer
Department Strategic Objectives
- To improve and sustain equipment reliability for increased and sustained productivity
- Efficient and effective management of local and imported resources
- To achieve and sustain world-class factory standard
- To improve constantly factory systems, processes and people.
- To coordinate the finishing engineering team for effective and efficient maintenance of machines, respond to machine breakdowns timely to reduce downtimes and to keep track of spare parts for the overall performance in production and quality
- Turnover of unit
- Budget responsibility
- Team Size Other.
Direct Reports are:
Internal & External Relationships:
- Identify the most significant ones
- Attach a preferred suppliers list if available
- Detail which networks the jobholder will be part of e.g. finance, category
- Close relationship with the production team
- With the stores
- Purchasing department
Job Context & Special Features:
- Explain any special features or context in which the job operates
- Detail any language or mobility requirements.
- The key outputs of the job
- List in priority order if possible, typically 8-10. NOT a task list
- Any requirement for organizing & planning including own work and the allocation of resources
- Typical decisions made and if they are advisory or directly responsible for the outcome
- Ensuring PPM and overhauling activities are performed according to schedules.
- To investigate and analyse the root cause of breakdown to manage and prevent re-occurrence.
- Manage spare parts for finishing plant machines.
- To drive and maintain a high performance in Occupational, Health & Safety and Environmental Care standard/practice
- To manage team and individual performance through regular reviews, monitoring objectives and ensuring development needs are identified and actioned
Key Accountability: Ensuring PPM and overhauling activities are performed according to schedules
- Maintain up-to-date schedules for the regular maintenance of all plants and machinery including preventive maintenance on weekly basis
- Ensure regular plant maintenance in accordance with approved maintenance schedules in conjunction with production programs from time to time
- Design and modify mechanical equipment for better industrial engineering leading to high qualitative productivity and cost savings
- Feasible updated maintenance schedules
- Timely preventive maintenance
- Effective delivery of production targets.
- Timely repair of plants and equipment as per feedback from production floor
Key Accountability: To investigate and analyse the root cause of breakdown to manage and prevent reoccurrence
- Prompt intervention on machine breakdown and proper investigation of the cause of the failure
- Ensure breakdowns and other repair work are promptly attended to minimize loss of production hours
- Design and modify mechanical processes and equipment for better industrial engineering leading to high qualitative productivity and cost savings
- Root cause analysis within the 24 hrs of the failure
- Elimination of downtime due to machine break down
- Top performance of finishing plants machines
Key Accountability: Manage spare parts for finishing plant machines
- Raise orders and payment certificates as at when due
- Liaise with purchasing section in planning and ordering for mechanical spare parts
- To maintain accurate stock record and ensure periodic reconciliation
- Make available standards of operations and procedures as related to spares inventory management
- Manage workshop resources efficiently to reduce cost of maintenance and increase machinery lifespan
- Reduced downtime of production machinery
- Effective planning
- Timely and accurate stock taking and reconciliation
- Up to date standards of operations and procedures
- Efficient management of workshop resources, staff, time, spares and budget
Key Accountability: To drive and maintain a high performance in Occupational, Health & Safety and Environmental Care standard/practise
- To consistently and visibly demonstrate their personal commitment to an involvement in occupational Health and Safety issues at all times.
- Ensuring that all incident involving and/ or potentially involving, injury to persons, to property or environment are reported immediately
- Ensure that Health, Safety and Environmental issues are fully considered and successfully resolved during the design, installation and commissioning of all building/process/ procedural modifications and that an appropriate HSE Audit has been successfully completed before modification is handed over to operational management.
- To maintain procedures to enable a quick response to emergency situation if it occurs and minimize its impact on the Health & Safety of employees, contractors, stakeholder and Environmental
- To heighten employees’ HSE awareness and provide appropriate training for employees, emphasizing individual responsibility for sound HSE management.
- To be aware of the hazards in the workplace under his control and control measures to reduce the risk presented by those hazards.
- To develop and maintain appropriate two-way communication and training programmes on HSE matters.
- Employees, contractors/suppliers and visitor Knowledge and awareness of site policies
- Reduction in number of factory incidents
- Number of Management of change
- Response and recovery time
- Training Hour recorded and Reduction in number of incidents
- Reduction in number of incidents
- Training Hour recorded
Key Accountability: To manage team and individual performance through regular reviews, monitoring objectives and ensuring development needs are identified and actioned
- Complete as a minimum, bi-annual reviews of individual performance with monthly informal reviews
- Set realistic yet challenging SMART objectives throughout the year for both the team and each individual
- Discuss shortfalls and strengths in performance in a timely manner and use feedback method
- Ensure each individual has an active development plan which is reviewed as a minimum, on a bi-annual basis
- Motivate the team to achieve success
- Ensure each team member is aware of the part they play in the achievement of business objectives
- Coach individual team members to support their development
- Identify skills gap and recommend for training (on-the-job)
- Completion of performance review documentation
- List of current SMART objectives for all individuals
- Staff able to answer questions about the key business objectives
- Involvement of HR regarding high fliers and poor performers
- Development plans in place for each team member and Clear career path within the department
- Succession within the department
- Regular departmental meeting
- Recruit only candidates with required skills
Key Accountability: To coordinate Good manufacturing Practice activities on site in line with agreed GMP standards (PZC GMP Standard/NAFDAC GMP requirements).
- Train personnel on the concept of Quality/GMP
- Create System for assessment of Quality/GMP activities
- Follow up on closing of identified Quality/ GMP gaps
- Improve on the GMP score of audited area.
- Timely training of personnel
- Provision of GMP Checklist
- Circulation of GMP Follow-up report
- Sharing of GMP information
- B.Eng / B.Sc / HND in Mechanical Engineering.
- 3 – 5 years minimum work experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office packages (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good knowledge of machine design
- Excellent Knowledge of engineering drawing and ability to use AutoCAD or other drafting packages.
- English Language
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Needed:
- List any qualifications required to do the job. Be specific about the experience needed. Focus on type of experience not the time served.
- Coordinates and ensures Planning and Organising of activities to achieve goals
- Takes into account a broad range of issues in Formulating strategies and vision for the future
- Shows appreciation/encouragement while Working with People rather than apportioning blame
- Gives full commitment to the Principles and values of the organisation
- Has Commercial Orientation and an understanding of business issues
- Thinks more broadly about impact of actions – Analysis and Decision Making
- Embraces Innovation and Change to move the business forward
- Establishes Interacting and Communicating networks links within and outside the organisation
- Demonstrates Personal Qualities – Drive and Resilience for achieving agreed objectives
- Able to identify how to turn subordinate’s weaknesses into strength whilst Managing People
- Focuses on high quality standards when Delivering Results and Customer Expectations.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online