Medical and Dental Consultant
Applications are invited from eligible Nigerians for commission into the Nigerian Army (NA) as Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) officers. The DSSC is open to both civilians and serving military personnel. Only serving military personnel sponsored to civil institutions by any of the Services of the Nigerian Armed Forces shall be considered.
Applicants could belong to either of the following fields of specialization such as General Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Anesthesia, Neuro-Surgery, Cardiothoracic, ENT Surgery, Physicians (Cardiologists, Endocrinologist, Nephrologists and Neurologists), Ophthalmologists as well as Obstetrics and Gynecologists, Pediatricians and Family Physicians. Applicants must also consider the following criteria:
- Must be Fellow of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria or equivalent Postgraduate Medical College.
- Not be more than 40 years of age by January 2021.
- Must have full registration of Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) for the undergraduate degree and additional qualification registration as appropriate.
- Must have current MDCN license to practice as a specialist.
- Nigerian Army Medical Corps. All applicants for Medical Corps are expected to present proof of registration with their professional regulatory bodies and current practicing license.
All applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a Nigerian as defined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Be a male or female between the ages of 20 and 30 years, while medical consultants must not be more than 40 years of age by January 2021.
- Be medically, mentally and physically fit according to NA standards.
- Be recommended and attested to his/her good character by at least 2 recognizable referees who is either a Local Government Chairman/Secretary or an officer of the Armed Forces not below the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel and equivalent or an Assistant Commissioner of Police and above who must hail from the applicant’s state of origin. Passport photographs of referees must be affixed to the letter of attestation.
- Applicants must submit a letter of Attestation from their former institutions.
- Measure in height at least 1.68m (for male) and 1.65m (for female).
- Must Not have been convicted by any court of law. Military personnel applying must be free from any disciplinary case and endorsed by the applicant’s Commanding Officer/Commander.
- Possess at least a first degree with not less than Second Class Lower Division or HND of not less than Lower Credit from any accredited institution of learning.
- Possess valid birth certificate endorsed by the National Population Commission, Hospital or Local Government Council or valid age declaration.
- Possess a valid certificate of state of origin.
- Applicants must possess NYSC discharge certificate or a valid exemption as appropriate.
- Graduates with professional qualifications must be duly registered by relevant regulating bodies recognized by Nigerian Laws at the commencement of cadet training.
- Only post-secondary academic credentials obtained from 2011 to date will be considered.
- Applicants must present valid contact addresses and telephone numbers of parent/guardians and Next of Kin.
- Candidates must not have any body inscriptions or tattoos.
- Candidates must tender all original copies of educational certificates (primary to post-secondary).
- Service personnel must present valid military identity cards and letters of recommendations by their Commanding Officers/Commanders. They must also present valid letter(s) of NA sponsorship to tertiary academic institutions. Additionally, they must have served for a period of not less than 5 years in the unit.
- Candidates must not belong to any cult/society/fraternity.
- All female applicants are advised to seek commission into specialist corps like Medical, Legal Service, Supply and Transport or Army Public Relations.
Conditions of Service
Direct Short Service Commission will be granted for a total of 15 years, for an initial period of 8 years, renewable yearly for another period of 7 years. Direct Regular Commission may be granted on conversion after 3 years as a commissioned officer.
- Conversion to Direct Regular Commission is not automatic but based on application by an eligible commissioned officer. It is however based on the availability of vacancy and other criteria that are or will be in force from time to time.
- All graduating officer cadets must sign an acceptance of the terms and conditions governing the Direct Short Service Commission before they are granted commission into the Nigerian Army.
- The reckonable period of service for civilians who become commissioned officers will be based on the date of commencement of cadet training while that of military personnel applicants would be the date of enlistment.
- Medical Consultant Officers on successful completion of military training shall be granted the rank of Major.
- Officer cadets who successfully complete the military training shall be granted the rank of Lieutenant with seniority effective date of commission except for medical consultants.
29th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application
Follow the Application Guide below:
- Applications are to be made online free of charge
- Go online and visit Nigerian Army web page at: recruitment.army.mil.ng and choose DSSC option from the page.
- You will be redirected to the page where you can read the qualification criteria for the ongoing SSC and DSSC courses.
- Click on the “Apply Now” button for the SSC as per your qualification.
- At the prompt, you will be required to select if you are serving/have served in the Armed Forces of Nigeria, choose the appropriate option and proceed.
- If you do not have an account click on “Sign Up” (A verification will be sent to you email) or enter your login details and log in.
- Fill out the form and ensure all required documents listed below are uploaded:
- Passport photograph.
- Educational certificates.
- Evidence of membership of any professional body.
- Certificate of state of origin.
- Birth certificate or age declaration.
- For DSSC applicants, note that the qualification selections available to you are dependent on the preferred corps selected.
- Applicants must print out their online generated photo-slip on completion of their application. The first page is to be signed by the Registrar of any Court of Law while the second page is to be signed by the applicants’ Local Government Chairman/Secretary or any military officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or equivalent and above who hails from an applicant’s state of origin.
- Successful applicants would be required to take a written examination at selected examination centres selected by applicants or assigned as appropriate. Successful candidates would also present their printed photo-slips at Examination Centres and subsequently to the Selection Board during the interview.
- Caution: The general public is advised to disregard any online application portal opened before this publication
- Prospective applicants and the general public are to also watch out for subsequent jingles on Television and Radio stations after this publication
- The portal provides for both Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) and Short Service Combatant (SSC). You are advised to read and understand the types of commission before proceeding to apply.
- For further information, please call 08179269294 and 08109959294 between 0800 – 1800 hours daily.
- Location Nigeria NGN Month
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND