Mental Health Supervisor
Location: Anka, Zamfara
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Responsible for the planning, supervision and coordination of mental health / pycho-social related services in the programme in accordance with MSF standards in order to provide the most appropriate mental health support for patients.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Participate in the planning, organization and coordination of Mental Health activities, in close collaboration with the Mental Health Activity Manager and other medical team members, in order to ensure an efficient and effective implementation of the resources needed while maintaining high levels of quality in Mental Health MSF programs and activities.
- Coordinates activities of counseling services with other relevant actors and liaises with the local counterparts (like MoH, WHO, ICRC and NGO) on mental health matters, including referral services.
- Supervise the daily mental health activities and patient support according to MSF protocols and standards in order to provide the most appropriate support for clients with psycho social needs
- Liaise with the other MSF team members of the project.
- Supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Oversee the administrative processes associated with psychosocial functioning.
- When needed, give psychological support to patients according to MSF protocols to improve mental health conditions of patients and enhance their functionality.
- Compile the data and statistic linked with MH activities and report to the MH activity manager
- Offer clinical counselling supervision to mental health counsellors in collaboration with the Mental Health Activity Manager.
- Ensure the patient’s related information is kept confidential
Project Specific Accountabilities
The Mental Health Supervisor is the main responsible for Mental Health activities and works in close collaboration with the entire Medical team via department supervisors in order to identify the need. Works closely with the project Medical Team Leader and updates him / her on the need identified and the way forward. The Mental Health Supervisor should regularly visit the NEP Clinic and the hospital. The Mental Health Supervisor is in charge of the following:
- Supervise the daily mental health activities (e.g. counselling…) and support according to MSF protocols and standards in order to provide the most appropriate support for to patients with psychosocial needs or disorder.
- Liaise with the other MSF team members of the project by coordinating psychosocial support as part of sexual and Reproductive Health Care including SGBV.
- Coordinate the case management protocol of patient and engage counsellors in the process. Conduct weekly meeting with staff and MH manager, participate in medical team meeting and pass along MH activities, challenges and success.
- Offer PFA for male and counselling for male survivors when there is need.
- Monitor and offer tele counselling in cases where it is the only option for reaching the clients.
- Ensure the patient’s related information is kept confidential; Provide psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) in accordance with MSF protocols and in order to improve the mental health status of patients when needed.
- In addition to MSF humanitarian principles, MH Supervisor will be able to define, discuss, key ethical principles related to psychosocial practice in a medical setting (e.g. informed consent, confidentiality, benefit to the client, non-judgemental) and develop strategies to exhibit these principles in day-to-day activities.
- Assist the psychosocial team to consistently maintain a structured set of activities to enhance recovery of the patients under distress conditions, maintain the structure of understanding psychosocial needs of beneficiaries, treatment plan and discharge with a follow up.
- To assess and train staff members and, if necessary, other medical staff in order to broaden the scope of mental health activities. Work closely with the translators to determine that they have the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out their work. (Proper approach, vocabulary and attitude to be adopted during the sessions)
- Work in close collaboration with SGBV Focal Point for SGBV and the HP team for a smooth programming.
- Data Management and reporting
- Monitor data collection and ensure it is well encoded in the HIS on weekly basis
- Write the Monthly Medical Report and or any other report requested by the project and submit the MTL.
- Maintain the weekly schedule for MH activities are carried out, data collated through file documentations, and follow up clients are duly maintained.
- Capacity to coordinate, collate, interpret data on the data tool for monitoring of increase or decrease in activities or the symptoms and functionality.
- Maintain team work spirit in his/her team and promote good working atmosphere
- Work in close collaboration with all NAMs( Outreach, IPD and ITFC) and the HP team
- Maintain good working relationship with all Nursing Team Supervisor and the SGBV Focal point
HR Management and Development:
- Demonstrate the ability to model, train, and monitor competencies needed to manage the psychosocial care for beneficiaries to include:
- Complete a psychosocial assessment to identify strengths and needs that will contribute to a client’s recovery and adjustment.
- Develop a psychosocial treatment plan to address the needs identified in the assessment.
- Develop a plan with each client for monitoring and management, practice basic counselling and communication skills.
- Conduct a counselling session to address the treatment plan and goals of the client.
- Design and conduct support groups, psychoeducation, and stimulation sessions according to developmental levels of clients.
- Engage caregivers of children to enhance positive attachment and effective parenting skills to support good psychosocial outcomes for children with psychosocial needs as well.
- Maintain teamwork and capacity building within the mental health staff and other staff within the project.
- Report any unethical behaviour within the team and take necessary action
- Organize and participate in the team meeting
- Carry out on 3 monthly basis short performance evaluation and give feedback to staff
- Develops working objectives for his/her team and ensure follow up
- Liaise with HR Manager to develop an induction program for all newly recruited staff and ensure follow up.
- Ensure staff on duty are timely attending and ensure work supervision
- Responsible for the roster of Mental Health Team
- Covers duty for any MH staff absent/excused from duty
- Promote MSF values and principles within the team and build commitment to them
- Other tasks as required by MSF
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Candidates should possess Bachelor’s degree
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Psycho-social counselling experience of at least 2 years with MSF or other NGOs.
- Previous Supervisor role where you were responsible for coaching, mentoring, supervising, training and setting and evaluating performance objectives with individuals?
- People Management.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Knowledge of English and Local Language (Hausa) is required to communicate with patients.
9th March, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications for this role can only be made online.
- Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization
- Location Zamfara,Zamfara,Zamfara USD Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3