National Consultant for Land Clearing
Post Level: National Consultant
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Expected Duration of Assignment: 10 Days
Duration of Initial Contract: 10 Days per Location
Starting Date: (Date when the selected candidate is expected to start)21-Oct-2019
The implementation of this pilot project will specifically achieve the following objectives:
- To reduce the vulnerability of affected persons through community-based protection by enhancing ability of affected communities to identify and mitigate risks and threats while ensuring that there is no interruption in livelihoods and productive activities.
- Livelihood and empowerment of community members in intensive production of pasture, management of fodder bank and provide training on pasture management for community members, particularly youth and women. The animal husbandry, nutrition value addition and linkages to markets will also empower the cattle breeders.
- Conflict prevention and peacebuilding by establishing a state peace architecture; local peace committees in conflict affected LGAs to foster dialogue and non-violent resolution of disputes.
- National and regional mobilization on the promotion of Human Security at national and sub-regional levels.
Objectives of Land Preparation:
- The main objective of land preparation is to create a favourable environment for adequate rainwater harvesting that would support the seeds or plants to germinate and grow over a longer period during the rainy season. Adequate land preparation will help to:
- Improve soil structure (better ventilation, permeability, and loosening of the root zone) to make root penetration easier.
- Improve field topography in order to facilitate rainwater harvesting or irrigation
- Distribute weeds and crop residues evenly over the field and incorporate them into the soil structure
- Obtain good recovery of fertilizer nutrients
- Control weeds.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the service provider will fulfil the following activities:
- The service provider will provide land clearing and land preparation services in five local government areas where the project is being implemented in Benue State. A combine coverage of 50 ha will be cleared in each LGAs to make a total of 250ha ready for planting of pasture & crop. The service provider should pay special attention to the following:
- Ploughing not to exceed 60 meter in length at once. (I.e. allow a break or gap of about 3 – 4-meter length on a continuous row of land being ploughed).
- Ploughed rows should be done at 4m intervals
- Take into consideration – Existing Cattle routes, existing tracks/roads to water points, etc
- Take pictures of Sites before, during and after land preparation
- Geo-referenced ploughed sites, Villages / Communities (i.e. Take GPS Coordinates – minimum 8 – 10 points per site).
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or related courses. Postgraduate degree is an added advantage.
- She/he should have at least 5 years of experience in land clearing, of which at least 5 years of professional experience should be in North Central Nigeria. Wide experience in the study, design and implementation of crop production development projects. Sound experience in agricultural extension service delivery. Experience working with UN or non-governmental organizations is an asset.
- The services provider must have adequate equipment for land clearing and preparation including – bulldozer for land clearing and tractor with accessories for ploughing and harrowing.
- The service provider must have undertaken such services for a donor or community development project in the past.
- The service provider should be able to deploy and undertake the services within the time frame necessary. (10 days per location including weekends not to exceed 1 month for the five locations to cover mechanized land clearing and preparation).
- Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture;
- Has good knowledge of UNDP programme and operational issues;
- Has knowledge of UNDP/UN policies and programme in crisis and post-crisis situations.
- Fluent in spoken and written English;
- Knowledge of Tiv / Idoma language is an asset.
17th October, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Location Benue, Benue, Benue USD Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND