National Consultant (Mid-Term Joint External Evaluation [JEE] Technical Planning & Coordination)
Job ID: 1904880
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: N/A
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
Under the International Health Regulations (IHR) 2005 countries are required to strengthen core capacities to prevent, detect and respond to health hazards. The IHR Monitoring and Evaluation Framework (IHRMEF) considers Joint External Evaluation (JEE) a critical priority. The JEE and the National Action Plan for Health Security (NAPHS) is a country owned, multi-year, planning process that can accelerate the implementation of IHR core capacities, and is based on a One Health approach and whole-of-government approach for all hazards. It captures national priorities for health security, brings sectors together, identifies partners and allocates resources for health security capacity development. Also, the NAPHS provides an overarching process to capture all ongoing preparedness initiatives in a country along with a country’s governance mechanism for emergency and disaster risk management.
WHO has developed the NAPHS Framework, which is a flexible, 3-step approach to help countries plan and implement priority actions to attain health security. It builds on and refers to all existing policies, agreements, strategies and frameworks at national, regional and global levels and is designed to be used by countries to facilitate multisectoral planning. The framework emphasizes the importance of alignment and integration with the country’s national health strategic plan as well as other relevant national sectoral plans in the development and implementation of NAPHS.
The implementation of NAPHS requires regular monitoring and evaluation of its implementation and identification of critical gaps to address. The consultant has concluded work on resource mapping of the 36 states and FCT but not concluded for the Federal level stakeholders; critical partners at federal level remain to be mapped and the dashboard is a critical input for the Mid-term JEE proposed by the NCDC to hold in November 2019. To support the completion of the resource mapping and implementation of the NAPHS, the consultant will need to support and facilitate with the following duties and responsibilities.
Description of Duties
The incumbent will support the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (the IHR National Focal Point) under the direct supervision of the Director Surveillance and IHR to;
- Support the NCDC in all the planning/preparatory work for the mid-term JEE.
- Support the development of the programme for the activity
- Support preparedness for the mid-term JEE including developing briefing notes, training technical leads on use of the WHO benchmark tool and other required documents
- Lead the harmonization of reports and outputs from all technical leads
- Develop a report and an accompanying presentation on the process and outputs
- Lead the development of a paper describing the process, to be published in a reputable peer-review journal
- Any other duties assigned
- Essential: University degree in Public Health, Epidemiology or other closely related fields
- Desirable: Advanced university degree in public health, epidemiology or other closely related fields
- At least 5-7 years’ experience on communication with the following:
- Experience with result-based evaluation methodologies;
- Experience in programme management for reputable organizations;
- Well versed with IHR Monitoring and Evaluation Framework components, JEE and NAPHS framework and process;
- Good analytical and planning skills; ability to set forecasts and refine/review them in the light of experience and further analysis
- Experience in strategic planning and coordination, facilitating resource mobilization, stakeholder analysis, and negotiation methods
- Proposal development
- Experience working with WHO or any other international organisation in related fields.
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Fluency in verbal and written English
Specific skills required:
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the IHRMEF
23rd October, 2019 (Time – 10:59:00 PM)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND