LTA Consultant – Photographer
Job ID: 87387
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 1st October, 2019
Duration of Initial Contract: One (1) year
Expected Duration of Assignment: One (1) year
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Head of Communication Unit at the Country Office, the consultant will be deployed to locations where UNDP is organising or holding events, carrying out project activities and other areas where such photographic material as can be used for highlighting UNDP’s work in Nigeria can be collected.
For each agreed assignment, the contractor will:
- Capture high resolution images of UNDP’s meetings, project activities, beneficiaries of UNDP interventions and their communities, infrastructure and other objects of UNDP support across the country, including in responding to the crisis in North-East Nigeria.
- Caption each photograph with specific details such as the location taken, name of the people (for portraits), activity and any other relevant information.
- Process the photos to enhance quality and remove any blemishes/imperfections
- Provide UNDP with at least 100 high resolution photographs per assignment on 2CD-roms or flash drive at the end of the assignment. Copyright for all photographs taken during assignments remains with UNDP Nigeria.
- Sometimes, the photographer may be required to frame selected number of photos.
- If and when any of the above services will be required, UNDP and consultant will agree on work input, number of working days necessary and deadline prior to commencement of work. Detailed specifications for each individual assignment will be given to the selected photographer as and when their services are requested.
- A collection of photographs depicting UNDP’s work across its core programme areas – Democratic Governance, Growth and Poverty Reduction, Energy and Environment, Crisis Prevention and Recovery, HIV/AIDS and Women Empowerment and Inclusion, and Strategic Policy Advice;
- A collection of sample photo essays of project beneficiaries of UNDP projects across all its core programme areas.
- Edited and captioned pictures to illustrate uploaded stories.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Excellent photography and creative skills
- Proficiency in photography software (Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, etc)
- Good writing skills
- Creative and proactive
- Flexibility to attend events during weekends
- Desire to work with and gain the confidence and respect of people with different language, national and cultural backgrounds.
- Respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter and the UNDP Statement of Purpose
- Ability to respect timeframes and meet deadlines.
Required Education, Skills and Experience
- At least a First Degree in Photo Journalism or Photography Training Certification from a reputable institution.
- Years of progressive experience as a professional photographer
- Experience taking photographs for development related agencies and projects
- Previous experience of working with UNDP, or other UN and international agencies.
- Availability and willingness to travel upcountry
- Skills in creative photography, capturing actions, surroundings, portraits, outdoor and indoor photos.
- Proof of previous work (shared via url).
- Ownership or possession of a professional digital camera/equipment is a MUST.
- Written and spoken proficiency in English.
- Fluency in a local language, an asset.
Evaluation / Selection Process
All applicants will be screened against qualifications and the competencies set above. Candidates fully meeting the requirements will be further evaluated based on the criteria below.
- Technical Criteria (CV review and interviews) – 70 % of total evaluation – max. 70 points
- CV review: 20 points:
- Educational qualifications as defined in the ToR (10 points);
- Experience as defined in the ToR (10 points).
- Only candidates who obtained at least 70% of points from the CV review (who will score at least 14 points) will be invited for an interview.
- Desk Review and/or Interview: 50 points
- Previous photography experience for large or international organizations (5 points)
- Communication and interpersonal skills (5 points)
- Strong theoretical and practical background in photography, including the use of photography software such as Adobe Photoshop, or similar; demonstration of at least 3 examples of previous works to be listed (20 points)
- Proven experience of photographic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and color management; demonstration of least 3 examples of previous works should be demonstrated (20 points).
19th September, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND