Post Doctoral Researcher 1
Location: Fajara, Gambia
- The MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM is seeking to recruit an early-career Post Doctoral Researcher with a proven track record of research in the field of Climate Change, Agriculture and Nutrition. The post-holder will join a new interdisciplinary team in The Gambia working on environment, agriculture, nutrition and health and will work in close collaboration with other Researchers in the UK and Mali as well as project partners at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) in Austria.
- The work will be varied and require subject expertise in at least one (and ideally more than one) of the following areas: environmental change, agriculture, nutrition, health, and scenario analysis. The successful applicant will be expected to lead the development of an integrated database for nutrition, agriculture, health and environment in The Gambia, and to conduct participatory qualitative research involving Gambian stakeholders.
- A doctoral degree in a relevant field (nutrition, agriculture, environmental science, epidemiology);
- Experience of creating, managing and analysing large datasets;
- Experience of conducting literature reviews and critically appraising evidence;
- Experience of working across different scientific disciplines;
- Contribution to peer-reviewed and published research papers;
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of a research team, and proven ability to meet research deadlines;
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Evidence of good organisational skills, including effective time management.
- Some experience of contributing to research grant applications;
- Some experience of teaching and assessment;
- Some experience of supervising and supporting junior researchers and/or research degree students, and non-academic staff;
- Experience of working with international partners;
- Experience of qualitative research (participatory research, semi-structured interviews or focus groups);
- Experience of working across more than one of the desired disciplines (nutrition, agriculture, environmental science, epidemiology).
Remuneration/Condition of Service
- An attractive salary will be paid in MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s Grade 2, 35 Points.
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- The appointment will be for 2 years initially and will be subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
15th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should please download the “Application Form”. Completed application forms and documents should be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here to Download the Application Form (Ms Word)
Click Here for More Information
Instrutions for completing the Application Form:
- You should complete the application form in black ink, regardless of whether you are handwriting the form or typing it. Please ensure that you complete the form accurately and fully, including all the information requested.
The following provides advice on completing certain sections of the application form:
- Employment Record: Please complete this section, starting with your most recent job or work experience first. If you are not currently in employment, please provide details relating to the last job that you held. Alternatively, if you have not been in paid work before, please include address and contact details relating to any unpaid or voluntary work that you have previously completed or are currently undertaking.
- Supporting Statement:This is the most important section of the application form. This is your opportunity to inform us as to why you are suitable for the post you applying for.
- MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Location Fajara, Gambia USD Month