Principal Governance Expert (Anti-Corruption)
Position Number: 50104482
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
- The Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP Complex) core objective is to give greater visibility and prominence to knowledge, its dissemination and management.
- This is done through the (i) generation of access to operationally relevant, multi-sector research on African development issues; (ii) the narrowing of the data statistics gap in Africa by improving the availability, quality and coverage of statistics, for policy formulation, implementation, evaluation and effective monitoring of progress and contributing to the development of cooperation statistics in Africa.
- ECVP is also the focal point for capacity development and provision of training with a clear focus on those areas most relevant to ensuring economic growth and efficient implementation of Bank-financed projects and enhancing their impact.
The Hiring Department
- The Governance and Public Financial Management Coordination Office (ECGF) is in the complex of the Chief Economist / Vice Presidency for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP), based at the Headquarters in Abidjan, and is responsible for coordination and operationalization of the Bank’s Governance policy, strategy and programs, including lending and non-lending work.
- ECGF works in collaboration with the other complex’s and departments of the Bank towards ensuring:
- That the Bank’s substantive technical engagement with key policy and strategy processes in the area of governance and public financial management are properly coordinated; and
- That the Bank’s interventions in Regional Member Countries, through program-based operations/ budget support and institutional strengthening projects promote effective and accountable governance and public financial management.
- The Principal Governance Expert (Anti-Corruption) (PL-4) will be responsible for providing specialist advice and inputs to the Bank Group’s work on combatting corruption in particular through review of technical design and institutional arrangements for governance projects/programs proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future impact. He/She will also contribute to the development of knowledge, forging partnerships and strengthening initiatives in the area of governance and combatting corruption in particular.
- In addition, the Principal Governance Expert (Anti-Corruption) will be expected to contribute to the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of governance sector operations.
- These operations include budget support operations and institutional support projects, as well as targeted diagnostic works with a focus on building effective institutions that promote equity, transparency and accountability in the management of public resources.
- He/She will also contribute to conducting country level policy dialogue on key governance issues.
- The work accomplished will contribute to realization of the Bank’s governance work programme as it relates to the implementation of the Bank’s High Fives priorities: Feed Africa; Light-up Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Lives of the people of Africa and the Strategy for Economic Governance in Africa.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Governance and PFM Coordination Office the Principal Governance Expert (Anti-Corruption) will:
- Provide thought leadership, technical advisory and project management support on governance and anti-corruption
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Bank’s work program on anti-corruption as outlined in the Governance Strategy and other corporate documents
- Coordinate engagement on governance and anti-corruption reforms, working in close collaboration with RMCs and partners as needed
- Contribute to the development of innovative training tools and case studies for training on anti-corruption;
- Support the Bank’s broader efforts to enhance measures to combat fraud and corruption through sensitization and awareness activities, maintaining knowledge management database and information sharing network for best practices and lessons learned
- Collaborate in multilateral efforts to mitigate the risks of fraud or corruption in development activities;
- Contribute to reporting on anti-corruption programming for the Annual Report, ADF and other relevant reports.
- Assist in the mainstreaming of anti-corruption in bank policy and strategy documents and work program;
- Support the AfDB’s efforts to strengthen efforts to combat corruption and to place it on the agenda of the RMCs, sub-regional bodies, the African Union and Globally
- Support resource mobilization efforts for anti-corruption work through the preparation of concept notes, proposals and other relevant documents.
- Any other work as may be relevant to advance the Bank’s Governance agenda in general and the anti-corruption work programme in particular.
Strategy and Planning:
- Contribute towards the development of corporate, sector and country level policy and strategies for combatting corruption.
- Engage in policy reform dialogue with Government officials and development partners on governance and anti-corruption policy and reforms.
- Lead/support Bank teams in the preparation and implementation of program-based operations and institutional support projects at the country and regional levels
- Manage an active country portfolio of project/programs, to ensure timely implementation according to agreed objectives.
Sector Economic Work and Knowledge Sharing:
- Coordinate with other development partners engage in relevant networks relevant and act as focal person for country level engagements in these areas.
- Contribute to activities of advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around governance and anti-corruption.
- Lead project teams and supervise the work of team members
- Mentor other staff.
- Supervise the work of consultants.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Masters Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Law, Finance, Economics or other related discipline relevant to governance and economic management reforms.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience working on anti-corruption reforms, at national, regional or international levels.
- Proven track record of managing and delivering programs (including institutional support projects and budget support operations) and providing technical advice in support of combatting corruption.
- Demonstrated knowledge and in-depth understanding of governance and the effective policies and measures for combatting corruption, particularly in Africa.
- Experience in conducting effective policy dialogue with stakeholders on governance and anti-corruption themes
- Ability to conduct policy research and carry out diagnostics on governance themes, and translate these into policy briefs, reports, or other knowledge products.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems.
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, teamwork and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with operational policies and programming practices of multilateral organisations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and Knowledge of SAP highly desirable.
18th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Location Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire USD Month
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification MBA/MSc/MA