Reference Number: ABV/PRO/2019/0028
Locations: Abuja & Plateau
Position Status: Full-time
Reports Directly to: Program Manager
Works Directly With: Program Manager, Senior Program Officers, MEL Team, Communications Officer, Finance, Program and Operation teams
Program / Department Summary
- The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has launched one of its most comprehensive peacebuilding programs in Nigeria to date with Mercy Corps, a leading global humanitarian aid and development organization, which has been working with communities in Nigeria since 2012. The goal of the Community Initiatives to Promote Peace (CIPP) program is to prevent violent conflict in the most at-risk communities across 6 states and 24 local government areas (LGA) in Nigeria’s North West and North Central regions. CIPP builds on the accomplishments and deep contextual knowledge gained by USAID and Mercy Corps through their previous peacebuilding programs in Nigeria.
- Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, protection of the vulnerable population, social cohesion, inclusion of women, youth and persons living with disabilities, and local conflict management.
- The CIPP program will be implemented in six Middle Belt & North-Western Nigerian states: Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau. CIPP will strategically build on the past four years of the Mercy Corps former peacebuilding programs to:
- Improve local capacity and skills to manage disputes
- Strengthen and enable more sustainable Early Warning and Early Response (EWER) mechanisms
- Increase collaboration among communities with government agencies, CSOs, and local leaders to address the root causes of conflict
- Strengthen women’s capacities to prevent and resolve conflict
- Improve ability to address violent extremist recruitment tactics
General Position Summary
- The CIPP Program Officer is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the program. S/he will support the implementation of activities related to capacity building for farmers, herders, religious leaders, religious institutions and other appropriate actors.
- The Officer will support the facilitation and implementation of joint conflict prevention and PVE plans, and the facilitation of events related to advocacy initiatives.
- S/he will also provide support to all other activities related to the USAID-funded CIPP Program and will ensure smooth, timely, and compliant implementation across the six states. The Program Officer will liaise frequently with implementing partners, community members, conflict actors, religious leaders, and represent Mercy Corps at relevant meetings.
- The Program Officer will work closely with the Program Manager, Senior Program Officers, Communications Officer, MEL team, and Operations staff (including finance and operations) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
Essential Job Functions
- Support technical aspects of the peacebuilding and conflict management program by assisting with the development of activities/agendas/curricula as appropriate
- Facilitate and co-facilitate community meetings, events, and training as required
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget
- Liaise with CIPP partner organizations and potential resource persons as needed
- Support the Program Manager in overseeing the performance of project implementation by partners and conduct frequent field visits to program sites
- In collaboration with M&E staff, coordinate the implementation of relevant surveys, needs assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring
- Develop activity work plans and manage day-to-day activity implementation
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to community needs, meets targets, and is carried out in line with best practices
- Establish and maintain effective program reporting and monitoring and evaluation systems (to track, analyze and report on results) for both internal and external use
- Integrate community approaches, protection mainstreaming, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate
- Ensure effective community engagement to create enabling environment and ownership
- Submit weekly program updates including success stories to supervisor
- Update Program Issue Log, Risk Register & Incident Tracker as appropriate
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulation and filing is regularly maintained
- Adhere to all MC policies related to security, operations and transport/ logistics information related to programming
Representation and Coordination:
- Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO, community meetings in close coordination with the Project Manager.
- Coordinate activities with implementing partners, local government representatives, religious leaders, other international and local organizations operating in the same geographic area, as well as with other Mercy Corps programs in Nigeria
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with all donor and Mercy Corps regulations
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its peacebuilding mission
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BS or equivalent in Conflict Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant fields
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in the non-profit sector preferably on conflict management/peacebuilding and community development
- Experience working in rural areas in Nigeria, particularly in target states of CIPP
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Knowledge of Hausa is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members
- Experience engaging with State and Local Government authorities, religious leaders and local partners
- Experience managing community-based peacebuilding and conflict management interventions
- Strong training and capacity building experience
- Demonstrated understanding of the conflict dynamics in the Middle Belt & Northwest Nigeria
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The positions are based in Abuja and Plateau and require up to 30% travel to the program sites field and around the Middle belt and Northwest.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative. Strong leadership, communication, and management skills are essential.
- Understanding of peacebuilding principles and their application to program implementation is required. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to solve problems and multi-task on a range of administrative and programmatic issues.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
20th September, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 pages CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Location Abuja/Plateau USD Month