Psychosocial Support (PSS) Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Reports To: Psychologist
Working Relations: Case Management Officers and Community Mobilization Officers.
- The Psychosocial Support (PSS) Officer supports the direct implementation of the “Supporting the Socio-Economic Reintegration of Children Associated with Armed Groups, and other vulnerable children, in North East Nigeria” project through delivery of Trauma Awareness and Resilience Trainings, in addition to facilitating Transformative Dialogues.
- The PSS Officer will also support Case Management Officers in providing specific PSS related technical support to improve the mental well-being of the children within the caseload.
About the Project
- In the past decade, states in the North East region of Nigeria have faced frequent attacks by Boko Haram militants leading to widespread displacement, violations of national laws, international humanitarian and human rights laws, and a deepening humanitarian crisis.
- Children, who are the most vulnerable members of society, have suffered the worst impacts as pre-existing problems of access to social protection, education and healthcare increase, new threats emerge, and the systems to protect children fails.
- This project aims to ensure that children verified and separated from CJTF receive a comprehensive child protection package including counselling, psychosocial support and socio-economic reintegration and that their communities understand the importance of their separation and reintegration.
- Search will work closely with the children, their families and communities, and CJTF to address the psychosocial and economic needs of the children and to influence the attitudes of communities and CJTF so they understand the negative impact of associating with armed groups on children and prevent the CJTF from using children.
- By increasing the resilience of children associated with CJTF and increasing their employability, this project will facilitate lasting reintegration of these children and amplify positive narratives around their role in communities as productive civilian actors and agents for peace.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The PSS Officer will deliver Trauma Awareness and Resilience Building Trainings to beneficiary children, in addition to Transformative Dialogues with caregivers and community leaders, according to project work plan.
- Coordinate with Community Mobilization team to ensure relevant target populations are mobilised. Ensure coordination to capture attendance record and ensure information is stored systematically.
- Conduct psychological distress assessment to the children within the caseload and provide psychological first aid and/refer the cases to the psychologist or other partners for further intervention.
- Support technical capacity building of Case Management Officers, Assistants and Community Case Workers through ad hoc consultations and mentoring on psycho-social support. Deliver in depth trainings when required.
- Write training activity reports on all trainings facilitated, ensuring rich content is captured through quotations and photos (with necessary consent/ assent), and ensure these are submitted in a timely manner.
- Represent Search externally where required, for example in MHPSS forums in Borno State.
- Prepare accurate monthly and make inputs to quarterly and final narrative reports.
- Share necessary security updates with Security unit in areas of intervention to ensure safety of beneficiaries and team members in ongoing risk assessments.
- University Degree, Diploma or equivalent in Social Work, Psychology, Law or Sociology.
- Minimum of 3 years psycho-social support (PSS) experience, with a particular focus on children.
- Solid understanding of psychosocial trauma interventions, methodologies and theory.
- Excellent training and facilitation skills.
- Experience working with Children Associated with Armed Groups
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Experience working in different communities in Borno State
- Experience working with refugees, IDPs, host communities, and other vulnerable populations.
- Good understanding of Child Protection Minimum Standards and the Inter-Agency
- Guidelines for Case Management and Child Protection.
- Knowledge of types of child abuse and their impact (violence, abuse, neglect, exploitation)
- Familiarity with referral pathways in and around Maiduguri
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Excellent ability to develop positive helping relationships with children and caregivers.
- Strong reporting skills capturing case management information.
- Knowledge of a local language (Hausa, Kanuri) a must.
11th October, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date).
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
- All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Collaboration- Audacity – Tenacity – Empathy – Results. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud. Search is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children, youth and vulnerable adults with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children, youth, and vulnerable adults.
- Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
- Location Maiduguri, Borno USD Month
- Years Of Experience 3-5
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND