Regional Academy & Community Project Manager – West Africa
- Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a Regional Academy & Community Project Manager with extensive open data and/or investigative data journalism experience to join our team in Nigeria. As the Code for Africa’s Project Manager in Nigeria, you will manage our programmes, partners, projects and community.
About the Role
- The successful candidate will manage the Nigeria team and focus on project implementation, coordinating monthly reporting and fulfilling all projects’ administrative needs.
- You will be a part of an international team of data journalists, civic technologists, designers and developers who join forces to produce highly impactful projects across the continent and beyond.
- You will play a key managerial role and be given a breadth of responsibility and work with multiple teams across Africa and Nigeria specifically in Abuja, Benin City, and Lagos and will be responsible to initiate, expand and maintain the relationships with institutional partners in Nigeria and West Africa in coordination with CfA’s Academy and BizDev teams.
Community and Partnership Management:
- Help maintain and foster institutional relationships with CfA’s partners in Nigeria and other relevant organisations, with particular focus on West Africa
- Facilitate the maintenance and creation of new CfA strategic partnerships across the continent and beyond
- Coordinate the management of CfA’s events, programmes, projects, and community communications
- Curate the grantee / stakeholder community on the appropriate channels, as well as shaping marketing strategies and brand collateral in support of the programmes. Support the CfA Academy and WanaData in recruiting and maintaining a network of appropriately skilled contributors, researchers and designers to ensure that the project schedule and standards are met
- Coordinate syndication / publication of CfA content with media partners, both in Nigeria and abroad
- Actively market CfA programmes and grantee projects to encourage public engagement and stakeholder participation
- Support in grant writing and applications to advance activities of CfA when necessary in coordination with the BizDev team
Project / Campaign Champion:
- Serve as a public champion for CfA tools and data journalism tools. The role will include helping CfA fellows / partners use the tools for their own reportage or projects, with support from either the CfA Data or CfA Academy
- Serve as the coordinator and champion for CfA’s WanaData and HH, under supervision of CfA Academy Product Manager, to execute on:
- Recruiting and managing a vibrant network of women data journalists in Nigeria, who actively participate in peer-learning and peer-support for data-driven storytelling.
- Coordinating skills development and career support including offering strategic CfA support for community members
- Assisting to conceptualise and produce data journalism projects, leveraging CfA resources as appropriate. The role will include input on story plans, copy-editing resulting content, helping shape digital design / packaging for projects, and assisting with placement / publication.
- Managing a discretionary fund for micro-grants for projects or initiatives. The role will include ensuring grantees meet their deliverables, deadlines, and budgets.
- Serve as the coordinator for Nigeria’s participation in CfA’s pan-African initiatives under supervision of CfA’s Director and CfA’s project team
Administration and Management:
- Oversee and coordinate the Nigeria team and all activities within Nigeria
- Prepares monthly budget, expense reports, reimbursement claims and other financial documentation for Nigeria team and liaises with head office for funding and reporting
- Review and approve all Academy and community event schedules on a monthly basis
- Responsible for ensuring all financial, tax and legal documentation are up to date and the Nigeria office meets all regulatory requirements
- Proven programme and/or project assistance experience (min. 2 years of experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Political/Social/Economic Sciences, Technology/Engineering, International Development or related field.
- Experience working within a non-profit environment, preferably an international nonprofit
- Understanding of donor funding and reporting
- Good interpersonal skills and comfortable working with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to be flexible and work in a changing, unstructured environment
- Attentive to detail
- Ability to multitask and prioritise
- Proactive and diplomatic spirit
- Seamless and problem-solving organisational skills
- Excellent English proficiency (including written skills)
- Works well without supervision
- Tech-savvy (i.e. Slack, Social media, Researching online, comfortable learning new tech tools)
- Passion for media, data, storytelling and technology. An interest in civic technology and digital journalism are a plus.
- Proven experience managing fast-moving, complex, multi-stakeholder communications projects within the NGO, media or tech/startup sectors
- A track record for driving high-impact marketing or communication initiatives that use creative multimedia approaches
- Experience creating media plans and campaign schedules, pitching a diverse set of cross-platform stories including angles for journalistic interviews, broad appeal social/viral media content and visual stories
- Experience managing the communications for large, live events
- Networks of West African, Nigerian and international media and university partners. Bonus if experience and contacts are within the digital and technology innovation sectors (optional)
- Strong strategic analysis and critical thinking skills: our projects are varied and fast-paced, so you need to quickly understand and learn new things.
- Excellent communication,verbal and written skills
- Solid organisational skills including attention to details and multi-tasking.
- Comfortable handling multiple tasks with multiple ongoing deadlines
- Experience managing communications strategies
- Experience in journalism/comms/media preferred
- Proficiency in using Google docs, sheets and powerpoint. Working knowledge of management tools like Trello and Slack would be an advantage.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth both in terms of career path and public stature
- A dynamic digital-first workplace, with the opportunity for regular remote work, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- An innovative cutting-edge project portfolio, that regularly helps push the envelope globally by pioneering new techniques/technologies and that demonstrates real-world applications with grassroots impact for digital tools.
3rd December, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Nigeria, Nigeria USD Month