Location: Damboa, Borno
- IMC’s curative and preventive nutrition intervention has expanded to 15 OTPs in Damboa, Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs. The curative component targets children, 6-59 months with SAM. Community health volunteers screen and refer children with a MUAC <11.5cm or WHZ < -3 or those with grade + or ++ or edema to OTP sites for treatment. SAM cases are treated at the OTP using RUTF, deworming and Vitamin supplementation. Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those <6 months are referred to stabilization centers. In addition, caregivers of children 6-59 months are trained on how to measure MUAC. If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM these are re-assessed by the CHV and if confirmed, the child is referred to the OTP.
- These children receive nutrition support through RUTF based on their weight, treated for infections using routine medication and screened and treated for malaria.
- The severely acutely malnourished who are 24-59 months are de-wormed. All severely acutely malnourished without edema receive routine vitamin A supplementation and zinc supplements for those that present with diarrhea, whilst those presenting with malnutrition and medical complications are to stabilization centers for specialized treatment
- The primary function of the SC Doctor is to provide leadership and overall day to day management of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) at IMC stabilization Centre (SC) in Damboa LGA.
- Together with Nutrition Coordinator, Nutrition Manager and Nutrition Officer, he/she participate in defining intervention priorities, develop necessary contacts and relationships with government, non-government, donors and UN agencies at the field level;
- Contribute to the development of strategies and manage existing programs and resources, and provide day to day supervision, management and coaching to a wide team of SC staff in Damboa.
- Ensure that International Medical Corps program is delivering the highest level of quality of nutrition services in line to national and international guidelines.
- To undertake a morning and evening ward round daily with a Stabilization Centre Nurse ensuring patients are visited where appropriate. To make an entry in the patient’s notes as appropriate following ward rounds or any other patient examinations, communication or procedures. To receive a hand-over report on patients from the duty SC Nurse;
- To supervise the daily clinical management of all patients in conjunction with the SC Nurse on duty with support from nutrition manager and officer.
- To liaise with SC Nurses regularly (at least every 3-4 hours) to check on patient progress, or more frequently if the need arises and respond to calls from the ward relating to patient care
- To take blood samples from patients as may be required from time to time.
- To administer intravenous medications / therapy if required,
- To undertake emergency procedures as required (including resuscitation), taking the lead as necessary.
- To ensure that all consumables used during procedures shall be correctly charged to patient. Coordinate to ensure that all available drugs and consumables used during procedures are strategically stored in SC.
- Ensure donated medicine and consumable is only prescribed for patients and not for staff unless on emergency first aid and under authorization from Nutrition Manager and Coordinator;
- Mentor and provide on-the-job training on stabilization care and documentation to nurses and other health workers deployed to the SC.
- Supervise the use of medicines, medical supplies, and nutrition-related commodities and data tools in the SC.
- Liaise with the nutrition officers and nutrition assistants to ensure and facilitate a timely referral of complicated SAM cases from the OTPs to the SC and vice versa.
- Participate in the development and review of SC programme monitoring and evaluation tools where necessary.
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all SC activities.
- Build collaborative relations with MoH, WHO and other stakeholders to ensure a successful SC project.
- Maintain work schedules/plans for SC nurses, nutrition assistants and cleaners in the SC.
- Update the nutrition manager on the implementation of all SC activities on weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis.
- Follow up management of stocks with the storekeeper; monitor rates of SC consumption and ensure supplies are ordered in a timely manner
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the SC teams, including admission, discharge and transfer from the various components of the programme.
- Ensure that SC beneficiaries, caretakers and members of the community are treated respectfully at all times
- Participate in regular nutrition team management meetings and also represent the Nutrition Manager in carrying out some related tasks.
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the nutrition manager or coordinator
- Ensure that the SC is equipped with all necessary tools and materials (e.g. MUAC, scales, drugs, F-75, F-100, RUTF, counselling cards, referral guides)
- Ensure that all SC staff fully complete and sign timesheets monthly for submission to HR/Finance Admin through the nutrition manager.
- Ensure payments made locally by nutrition team are compliant with the Procurement & Authorization Chart with appropriate supporting documentation
- Ensure assets under-nutrition team are safeguarded and included on the monthly/quarterly/annually update of assets as may be required
- Assist in any other tasks when required by nutrition manager and/or management
- Strictly qualified and registered national Medical Doctor from a recognized university/institute with minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Must possess a valid practicing license from the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
- Experience in implementation of nutrition programs is an added advantage.
- Understanding of nutritional/health surveillance and information systems/reporting.
- Proven ability and experience in planning and conducting formal training session on health and nutrition including CMAM and IYCF.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach other staff and community workers.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with children and their care takers.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment.
- Ability to deal with relations with local authorities as a Nutrition representative of IMC in the SC.
- Ability to integrate into the local environment including awareness of political, religious and economic aspects of the community.
- Excellent inter and intra personal skills to ensure consistent positive relations with key stakeholders.
- Familiarity with donors and donor procedures helpful.
- Strong report writing and computer skills.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
24th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via: [email protected]
- We are an equal opportunity organization So Maiduguri Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Candidates MUST state the position, location and Job ID (DAM/NUT/06) they are applying for as the subject of their email
- Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise, applications will not be considered
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- This position is for Nigerian nationals only.
- Location Damboa, Borno NGN Month