Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 12 months
- The Security Associate is to assist in security risk assessments and management for Christian Aid Dikwa Field location as well as any other field locations within Borno State.
- The post holder will manage field safety and security risks with possible impact on Christian Aid Nigeria staff, visitors, partners and the organization’s physical assets.
- He/she will technically line-manage the guards within Dikwa field office whilst being answerable to the Security Advisor.
- The role fits within the International Department and specifically within the Nigeria country programme.
- The individual is responsible for ensuring proper context monitoring, analysis and timely security information sharing with the Dikwa field team and the Security Advisor.
- He/she will be responsible for maintaining a high standard of security for Dikwa Field office and the staff whilst interfacing with various security networks.
- He/she will ensure field trip management and staff tracking.
- He /she will ensure that the guards and drivers are proficient and trained in their respective role and duties.
- The role holder will support in monitoring and supporting programmatic work by ensuring all staff and volunteers operate within Christian Aids Security policies and procedures.
- Strong and diverse information network (local, UN, INSO etc) are established from which reliable and up to date information on security may be obtained and applied by the team.
- Sound cultural and situational advice, especially to the Base Lead and other Project teams.
- Country Security Plan and SOPs implementation at field level. Proper Staff/visitor briefing on arrival to the field.
- Support regular training of staff, drivers, guards and volunteers on safety, security and communications procedures.
- Field security assessments carried out and provided to the Security Advisor as required.
- Guard force management at field level. Proper accountability and maintenance of field safety, vehicle, communication & security equipment. Technical supervision provided for drivers on matters related to safety and security.
- Overall field safety and security support.
- Regular up-date (daily, weekly and monthly sitrep) and communication with Security Advisor
- External – Networking closely with other security agencies within Humanitarian Community, Government Institutions and other security actors, partners and visitors.
- Internal – Works closely with CA staff, consultants and volunteers
- Decision Making
- Make decisions to assist teams effectively. Also, providing technical input and operational support in programme delivery. Day to day decision to ensure partner portfolio projects are running effectively. Make decisions in line with CA security policies that support crisis and emergency situations. Contribute to shaping and implementing logistics and procurement strategy.
- S/he should be able to analyse complex situations with safety and security implications.
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet programme goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
Developing Self and Others:
- Has direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating teams of colleagues/project team members. Focus will be on advising and guiding field staff on safety and security practices and procedures.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Degree in Social Sciences, Administration or Business
- Minimum of 1 year experience in security and safety management/logistics in an international NGO.
- Field based experience in complex and insecure settings or relevant security overseas position.
- Understanding of North East Nigeria social and political context and its impact on security; well informed and knowledgeable about Nigeria security trends and issues
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with relevant internal and external stakeholders, with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Experience of people management.
- Ability to communicate in local language.
- Ability to effectively deal with the stress factor in security management situations
- Good understanding of Nigeria’s security issues
- Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with other humanitarian actors.
IT Competency required:
Level 1: You are expected to be able to:
- Work in a reliable, helpful and cooperative way with all colleagues and provide help to others without needing to be asked. Willingly participate in team work and contribute ideas, including those that may be beyond your own or your team’s role. Keep others informed about what is going on in your own work area.
- Treat everyone with courteousness, dignity and respect, accepting that people are different and have different views.
- Act and behave consistently with what you say.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. Pass on a clear message or information promptly and accurately.
- Ask additional questions to clarify when needed.
- Explain things simply and in a different way if someone appears not to have understood. Be aware of how your actions and words impact on others and adapt if necessary.
- Use resources economically, whether these are Christian Aid resources or wider environmental resources. Recognize that time is a resource and take responsibility for managing your time effectively.
- Agree your work plan, keep track of your own progress and keep others informed.
- Check the quality of your own work and deliver to expectations.
- Seek clarification and support from your manager when needed and to ensure appropriate sign-off.
- Respond promptly to the requests of others, seeking guidance on priorities and workload when needed. Consider the consequences of your actions, including the impact on your work and colleagues.
- Take personal responsibility for your actions.
- Question and ask for information and advice to address your own knowledge and skills gaps in order to learn.
- Regularly ask for and act on feedback on own performance.
- Assist others by showing how to complete tasks.
- Demonstrate concern for the wellbeing of others.
- Act and behave consistently in line with Christian Aid’s values.
Strive for Improvement:
- Demonstrate openness to change.
- Respond quickly and helpfully to new initiatives.
- Find ways to make improvements in your work.
- Show initiative when faced with problems. Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others
N3,187,627 Salary (full time)
18th October, 2019.
29th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.
- Location Dikwa, Borno USD Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND