Job Requisition ID: 2022201244
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor:Security Director – Nigeria
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- The Security Manager will discharge his/her assignment under the direct authority and technical guidance of the FHI 360 Security Director.
- He/she will also work with the Response Coordinator for Integrated Humanitarian Assistance for Northeast Nigeria (IHANN) and Directors/Managers of any other projects in the Northeast as directed.
- The Security Manager IHANN will work with other Security Focal Persons on projects in the Northeast to ensure that FHI 360 programs, staff and assets remain safe and secure from threats.
- The Security Manager role is to provide support in development, implementation of safety & security strategy for projects based in the Northeast and day-to-day security management.
- He/She will also provide support to the Security Director on management of staff safety and security issues which will strive to support FHI 360 program implementation.
- He/she will work across existing and new programs in Northeast and may be called to support other regions as may be necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the State offices in developing and overseeing the day-to-day conduct of office security program, ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and man-made.
- Provide technical security advice in consultation with the Security Manager on the existing and any new potential FHI 360 offices including site selection and establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures.
- Conduct security risk assessments for FHI 360 program expansion areas in the Northeast Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically.
- Conduct Hotel assessments in liaison with travel office for a safety and security approval process
- Establish a network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible.
- Attend security meetings such as INSO, OSAC, UNDSS, INGO forum etc. Conduct onsite training for staff in the field of safety including personal safety, emergency evacuations, travel safety, relocation and evacuation
- Work with program staff in seeking security clearance for asset movements to operational areas
- Supervise and regularly appraise security contractors and Guard Companies as per agreement ensuring that all company policies and practices related to these are followed.
- Provide advance security advice, security briefing to staff and visitors to respective States, ensure plans for tracking arrival, departure and accommodation
- Draft security advisories with advice on mitigation for circulation by the Security Manager or designee and general situation, specific incidents and periods of heightened threat.
- Conduct periodic briefing to Managers/Managers and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks. In conjunction with the Security Manager, deliver relevant security trainings.
- Ensure FHI 360 staff and visitors understand and behave in accordance to the Standard operating procedures, contingency plans and security briefings
Incident & Crisis management:
- Serve as the part of the Nigeria security unit, Manager emergency/staff incidents involving FHI 360 Nigeria staff and assets, inform the Security Manager and recommend response actions.
- Coordinate the updating of FHI 360 Security management plan, develop specific contingency plans for review by the Security manager as required or directed Maintain and periodically test the security tree for the States in region covered.
- Organize safety & security awareness, fire and life safety training for all staff Maintain and enhance the State’s travel management system to track the location and contact information for all visiting staff and consultants.
- Be part of the security management Team (SMT) and head the State Security team in crisis situation.
Briefing and De-Brief:
- Visitors – Develop and deliver location specific safety and security briefings for all visitors on operating context New Employee Briefing – Deliver security orientation on personal safety, organizations security management framework, use of communication equipment (VHF, HF, Satellite phone) Post-incident debriefs – de-briefing staff /visitors involved in security incidents and help in psychosocial support as well as identifying medical help.
Relocation & Evacuation:
- Plan for both security and medical evacuation for all locations and develop evacuation plan including roles, relocated staff, collection points, routes etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree level or relevant certification in Security Management.
- A formal security qualification or security management training/work experience in complex environments (minimum of 7 years post graduate experience) Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multiethnic team and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in complex context.
- An ex-service man either from the Nigeria military or Police context or related field work in the Northeast. Prior experience with the UN system or international NGO is desirable.
- Experience in incident reporting, incident mapping, compilation of security reports and assessments
- Experience in training and coaching national and international staff in safety and security.
- Technical competency and training experience in field-based communication systems, Thuraya and internet systems.
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian principals of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence
- Strong report writing, analytical and interpersonal skills, competency in internet and Microsoft office systems including word, excel, power point, access, and other database mapping systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
- Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations, previous security experience preferred.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills High level of experience, ready to learn developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to speak several local languages (Hausa, Kanuri) as well North East work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions Ability to travel (50%demands) on regular basis throughout assigned States on short notice.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Maiduguri, Borno USD Month