Location: Gwoza – Pulka, Borno
- The Security Officer will be responsible for the assessments, security related guidance and enforce implementation of security policies, guidelines and procedures for the Humanitarian Response Program with the support of the Safety and Security Manager.
Dimension of Role
- This will involve, but is not limited to: promoting a culture of security; security incident reporting; security guard oversight and management; monitoring and analysing the security situation in the states of humanitarian response, supporting the development and implementation of Security related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Borno field offices. The scope of responsibility is for both Plan International and all authorised visitors.
Programme development & Quality Management:
- Advise Humanitarian/ country office staff Unit on all aspects of security, management issues and trends in the North East
- With support from Security Advisor develop/maintain an appropriate framework of security measures and standard operating procedures (SSOPs), which will increase Plan International Nigeria’s overall capacity to protect staff, programs, and property for the humanitarian response
- Ensure that Plan International Nigeria SSOPs reflect risk levels referenced in Plan’s Global Security Policy and ensure SSOPs are compliant with all Plan’s policies
- Manage the day-to-day operations of security management i.e. guard oversight/management/direction; identification, documentation, analysis and follow up of security threats/incidents; monitoring SSOP compliance; staff/vehicle movement control, etc. for the humanitarian response
- At the state level, lead the response to all security threats/incidents in a timely, professional and appropriate manner
- Review existing Security Risk Assessments (SRAs) and conduct same routinely in Pulka and other LGA’s in Plan’s Humanitarian response operational locations as well as whenever the security situation changes and advice programming
- Monitor and suggest ongoing improvements to existing security warning systems and produce the report to updates/alerts etc., then analyse available information with respect to potential impact to Plan International Nigeria and inform staff /management accordingly of security risks.
- Ensure regular communication with all project leads.
- Regular attendance at relevant security meetings and forums for the North East.
- Report on security incidents/threats to Security Advisor on a regular basis (including analysis of trends) and focal persons at the district level
- Review physical security arrangements including insurance for staff and assets (e.g. vehicles) in collaboration with relevant managers such as P&C, Operations Managers etc, on a regular basis and implement action plans to improve/correct as/when required
- Develop and test contingency plans based on results and anticipation of security threat/risk assessments and develop staff preparedness/capacity to respond, staffing collaboration with focal persons at the district/Program Unit level
- Ensure that regular safety and security trainings are conducted with relevant field staff
- Build the capacity of all staff on security including health and safety aspects under P&C leadership/ownership
- Assess communications needs and recommend improvements/technological aspects to make sure that all equipment’s are working and in good condition such as generator(s), radios, satellite phones, etc.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the supervisor.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Strong knowledge and experience in occupational security and health & safety operations
- Ability to prioritise and manage complex and varied workloads, often to tight deadlines, in a dynamic, fragile and multi-cultural setting
- Ability to guide staff with limited security capacity
- Ability to predict and respond to security threats/incidents
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and trouble-shooting skills including negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders
- Energetic and motivated individual, with a proven track record of undertaking similar assignments
- Strategic and critical skills – but also focused on operational results and ‘getting things done’
- Commitment to continuous learning; willingness to keep abreast of new developments in security
- Able to work independently but also collaborate closely within teams
- Ability to establish and sustain strong working relationships with Plan colleagues and in the broader Nigeria community/context
- Culturally and socially sensitive
11th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Location Gwoza - Pulka, Borno USD Month