Senior Android Engineer
Location: Lagos (Remote)
Job type: Full time
Department: Technology – Software Engineering
About the Role
- First and foremost, we are looking for someone who is excited about what we do. You don’t need to be an expert in FinTech but should be keen to learn and apply our company’s values.
- Our Android team is relatively small. We have 9 specialists with combined experience in Android, Kotlin and team leading. Our Android Engineers are part of our Backend department, which is always growing. Currently we have 66 engineers who work fully remote from UK, Europe and Africa.
- As a Senior Android Engineer, you will be working in small team of android, backend engineers, product managers and testers. Your main responsibilities will be designing, developing and maintaining M-KOPA’s Android apps. You will be delivering software that scales with both company and customer growth. As part of this role, you will be working on a variety of problems that could include architecting new device locking solutions, integrating new in-app payment providers or enabling our sales force to on-board customers efficiently.
- We are a team of passionate product-focused engineers committed building and fostering an environment where our colleagues feel valued. We encourage knowledge sharing and learning as much as possible.
- It is a fully remote role, within the following time zone (UTC -1 / UTC+3). You will be reporting to the Software Engineer Team Lead.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- You like to put your people and teammates first and bring your most empathetic self to work
- You like to take a product-focused approach to development and drive changes using data to guide your decisions
- You have the opportunity to identify gaps in the product experience, influence the project and the way we work
- You embrace DevOps mindset and understand the benefits it brings to the team
- Working in a team makes you happy and you like collaborating with other teams to grow and improve the department and wider business
- You will follow software best practices when handle sensitive data and Protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- You will own releases, support product teams and troubleshoot issues, driving improvements in our codebase and standards
- Enjoy working in cross functional domain teams, collaborating on issues and deep diving into features to improve our users’ lives
- Demonstrating low ego and team spirit
- Advocating of CI / CD best practices and understand the importance of writing clean code
We’re excited about you because you:
- You have a strong understanding of team’s product. You apply critical thinking to presented requirements and deliver constructive feedback
- You have strong commercial experience in Android and Kotlin
- You understand the importance of testing and you are experience writing clear and reliable tests as well as aware of testing best practices (i.e. TDD)
- You are familiar with the Jetpack tool suite and modern Android development practices.
- You are experienced with coroutines and structured concurrency
- You have previously worked for a large-scale product and you are familiar with the following: Jetpack, Trunk based development, Flow, Koin, Clean Architecture, MVI/MVVM, Dynamic Features, Feature Toggles, Remote Config, Docker and Azure DevOps
- It will be highly beneficial if you have device locking, connected asset financing or banking experience
- We primarily use .NET for our backend and Kotlin for our Android apps
- Our teams use some flavour of Scrum where they keep track of their work in Azure DevOps, which we also use for our CI/CD
- Our cloud provider is Azure, where our microservices are hosted in Azure Kubernetes Services
- We are building a whole new set of microservices based on Event-Driven Architecture patterns
- We are a team of passionate product-focused engineers committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel value
What’s In It For You
- Private health insurance (inpatient outpatient, maternity, eye care, dental and gym facilities)
- Group Life Cover and Personal Accident Cover
- Company pension (A mandatory basic national social security scheme)
- Remote working (dependent on the nature of the role)
- Airtime allowance (dependent on the nature of the role)
- MIFI monthly payment for remote workers
- 20 days per annum (excluding public holidays). Annual leave is accrued at the standard rate of 1.75 days per month
- Annual Learning and Development Fund – You have an annual $ 1,200 allowance to spend on learning and development (that is, between 1 January and 31 December). For your first year at M-KOPA, this allowance is pro-rated depending on the month that you start.
- Home Office Set Up – Having the best IT equipment tools in the world doesn’t make sense if you do not have a proper setup to work with. For this reason, M-KOPA will pre-approve the following items for a total budget of $1000 that you can use at any time after signing the offer letter with M-KOPA (you may purchase desk and chair separately or together; before or after your start date)
- On site retreats with wider tech team, plus trips to operational markets
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Recruiter Screen
- 1st Stage Interview
- Technical Interview – take away home task, afterwards presented to the team
- Final Interview – Meeting senior members of the team
- Location Lagos (Remote) USD Month