Senior Project Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: 2 year attachment / fixed term contract
Department: Project Management
- We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to provide overall leadership of the management and delivery of our donor funded projects.
- Reporting to the Country Director, Nigeria, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that our projects are delivered on time, on budget and to high quality.
- The role requires a high degree of personal resilience and a flexible approach to implementing development projects in a challenging, resource-poor, multi-cultural context.
- The Nigeria office has a talented team of staff, and is a supportive and inspiring environment in which to work.
- This exciting and influential role will be responsible for the overall management and delivery of a range of development projects which use the power of media to tackle issues of governance, health and resilience.
- The Senior Project Manager will oversee a diverse, multidisciplinary team to ensure the agreed targets and objectives are met; and will ensure the quality and cohesion of project outputs. Maintaining relationships with donors and ensuring accurate and timely financial and narrative donor reporting will be a key part of the role, as will identifying further funding opportunities related to meeting development priorities in Nigeria and taking the lead on writing successful proposals.
- The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing the overall delivery and budget management of projects, and for reporting on progress to the Country Director, partners and donors.
- Upon request of the Country Director, the Senior Project Manager will represent BBC Media Action in country to key stakeholders and will ensure effective relationships and partnerships with a wide range of partners including broadcasters, NGOs, international development agencies and others.
- BBC Media Action works to ensure that everyone we work with remains safe during their time with us.
- The Senior Project Manager will support the Country Director in ensuring that safeguarding is factored into project design and budgeting, staff and freelancers receive relevant safeguarding training, and relevant safeguarding due diligence is conducted with any local partner organisations that may be working with vulnerable adults or children as part of our projects.
- The role reports to the Country Director, Nigeria and will work closely with other members of the Senior Management Team.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Considerable experience developing and managing large-scale, donor-funded projects in a developing-country context, preferably in Africa.
- Proven ability to develop and secure new donor-funded international development projects, including ability to develop new business ideas and present these persuasively to potential partners and funders. Proven experience writing successful donor-funded proposals that incorporate project research and development, logframes, budgets, etc.
- Strong financial management skills, with proven experience managing complex medium to large budgets for donor-funded international development projects and knowledge of the reporting requirements of donors.
- Experience managing teams, preferably within a developing-country context, and developing and improving internal management systems and processes.
- Proven ability to forge strong working relations quickly and gain the trust of local partners and counterparts (such as other NGOs, local media, donors and other stakeholders).
- Demonstrable editorial judgement skills and understanding of BBC editorial values, or demonstrable potential to acquire strong editorial skills in order to help make sensitive editorial judgements at a senior level.
- Confident public speaker with experience of presentations to colleagues, donors and stakeholders.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills, including the ability to adapt, react and respond to crises, and to evaluate risk.
- Experience working on own initiative and organising time effectively within a range of often conflicting deadlines and demands.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in one or more of BBC Media Action’s key thematic areas in Nigeria: governance (particularly social/political inclusion and accountability), disability inclusion, health (e.g. maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health including family planning, epidemic/pandemic response), humanitarian response, childhood education, security and justice and/or media ecosystems/media freedom.
- Experience of working in both the media/communications and development sectors.
- Experience in managing a portfolio of multiple, simultaneous complex projects.
- Knowledge of the Nigerian or West African development context.
- Experience mainstreaming disability inclusion into projects or managing projects focused on disability inclusion.
1st October, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: BBC Media Action will assist the successful candidate in obtaining a work permit, if necessary.
- Location Abuja, Nigeria