Technical Officer, Laboratory
Employment Type: Full Time
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term Appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two Years
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Programme
- WHO Ministry of Health in Nigeria is working to strengthen the capacity to establish minimum bases for the International Health Regulations. In this regard, WHO will support the health system including the response to public health and nutrition emergencies through laboratory capacity building.
- The programme covers the following areas of the Diagnostics and Laboratory:
- Systems, Clinical,Epidemiological, Surveillance, Disease Prevention and Control, Quality, Bio-safety and Bio-security, and Research.
The objectives of the programme are as follows:
- To promote the development of an effective national laboratory system through the development and implementation of comprehensive national policies on laboratory services.
- Contribute to the adaptation and implementation of international and regional standards and guidelines at the national level.
- Supporting laboratory-based surveillance of diseases, including emerging and re-emerging infectious risks.
- Strengthen national laboratory networks in the context of IDSR and IHR.
- Strengthen laboratory quality management at the national level through the implementation of regional programmes such as SLIPTA and LQMS/WHO, including bio-safety and bio-security
- Promote the contribution of laboratories to disease prevention and control activities and to global disease control programmes.
- Promote laboratory workforce capacity strengthening.o Collaborate with other clusters and programmes to ensure Diagnostics and Laboratory contribution.
Description Of Duties
- Provide advice,technical expertise and support operations for the development, implementation and monitoring of national policies, strategies and plans.
- Support the development of laws, national norms, standards and guidelines on Diagnostics and Laboratory systems and services.
- Support the development and implementation of regulatory functions related to diagnostics and Laboratory services.
- Provide technical support for the development of the national laboratory system, including mobile laboratories.
- Provide technical support in cooperation with the partners to improve laboratory analysis and diagnostic services, quality management of the environment, equipment maintenance, safety and bio-security.
- Provide technical expertise and support operational for rapid response to epidemics / epidemics and health emergencies, in collaboration with national health officials,including laboratory staff and other partner organisations
- Strengthen national health laboratory capacities through the provision of training to diagnostics and laboratory staff.
- Support the development and implementation of technical guidelines and standard operating procedures for laboratory testing and practices, including for the safe collection, handling, shipment, storage and analysis of the human and environmental samples.
- Execute all other related tasks assigned by the direct supervisor and the WHO Representative.
- Essential: University Degree or Diploma in Clinical Laboratory Sciences or in Medical Biology
- Desirable: Master’s Degree or Higher Diploma in Laboratory Technology with specialisation in infectiology or related laboratory fields.2-Superior Diploma in Public Health or Epidemiology would be an asset.
- Essential: At least 2 years in clinical laboratory fields /public with the national authorities
- Desirable: Experience of working with the UN / WHO or other major international organisations would be an additional benefit.
The incumbent of the position must have the essential knowledge and skills specific to the position, among others:
- Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing diagnostics and laboratory policies, strategies, plans and regulations;
- Demonstrated ability in national or international level laboratory management, and / or coordination of national or international laboratory networks / programmes;
- Ability to implement regional and global strategies in medical products quality control laboratories;
- Skills in managing quality-control laboratories; Proven writing and communications skills;
- Demonstrated skills in mobilizing resources.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN 19,956,269 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
14th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
- Location Lagos USD Month
- Years Of Experience 0-3
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND