Translator English into Portuguese – P4
Division: Judicial Certified Translation & Interpretation
Institution: Community Court of Justice
Line Supervisor: Portuguese Reviser
- The incumbent shall, in accordance with professional standards, provide translation services for Judicial and non-judicial documents in Portuguese to the Hon. Judges in the discharge of their judicial mandate. Ensuring high linguistic and terminological quality and application of ECOWAS Court jargon.
- S/he shall assist the setting-up and updating of terminology database and compilation of glossaries.
Role and Responsibilities
- Translation Services as assigned by the HOD Language and Management; Provides translation into Portuguese of speeches, statements and Court processes.
- Routinely assigned Translation of official documents for Judges and staff members as required;
- Language Combination: Portuguese A, English B or French B. (Any proven C language in either of the other two working languages of the Community will be an advantage)
- Assists the HOD Language Division, as appropriate, in the screening, training and conduct of examination for prospective translators;
- Participates in establishment of terminology database, compilation of glossaries, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Translation or equivalent from a recognized university;
- 7 years of experience in translation, and use of relevant computer software, electronic tools and databases;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills; highest standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the style and nuances of the original text;
- Familiarity with computer-assisted translation tools, machine translation tools and on-screen editing tools.
- Excellent knowledge of legal issues relating to the functions, structure and activities of ECOWAS;
- Proficiency in legal writing and ability to work on a variety of legal instruments and related documents;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competences:
- Ability to get groups to work together cooperatively, by enlisting active involvement, creating a climate for respect and openness, and applying effective techniques for group facilitation, explore their potentials, motivate and guide them;
- Organize and lead cross-divisional work group in developing creative solutions to address problems and or lead a small group of entry level professionals and administrative support staff;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Develop on – the-job training techniques paired with excellent coaching and mentoring skills; knowledge of new staff orientation approaches to facilitate understanding of the position and organization;
- Ability to assign work to direct reports and provide timely and consistent feedback regarding technical proficiency and effectiveness;
- Ability to represent the organization effectively before external parties.
- Ability to consider the impact of a shift in programmatic direction to the needs of internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to promote and consider staff feedback to streamline processes in order to meet deadlines of relevance to client expectations;
- Ability to consistently maintain composure and direction in high- pressure situations;
- Develop problem solving, mediation and conflict resolution skills to address discrepancies, complaints, bottle necks, time constraints affecting quality and quantity of client services;
- Ability to anticipate growing client needs and expectations to continuously improve quality, timelines, service delivery and addressing client questions in a timely manner;
- Ability to communicate openly with clients, keeping them informed of progress and issues requiring attention/resolutions.
- Ability to implement programmatic changes in a manner that ensures a biased-free work environment, fair and equitable application to new rules/regulations;
- Experience and ability to adhere to policies, goals, objectives, and principles of valuing diversity in performing everyday duties and responsibilities; promoting/modeling behaviors that demonstrate tolerance and understanding of various cultures;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability to build value from leveraging diverse capabilities and inputs from various cultures, staff and clients;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to seek out best practices to make organizational decisions of relevance to diversity management, ensuring that project and program activities identify vulnerable areas and contain systemic checks.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions and how the different organs relate to each other, particularly as it relates to own work sector/programs;
- Knowledge of approaches to policy and program development of an international organization as well as project management;
- Knowledge of the rules, processes and procedures of an international organization, of pertinence to tasks related to own position;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Creativity and flexibility to deviate from traditional methods in developing new procedures, processes and tools, using technology to simplify methods and approaches whenever possible;
- Ability to reevaluate current procedures and suggest improvements to ensure an effective, streamlined process;
- Ability to gather and summarize information to predict stakeholder views on a new policy/programs; and excellent analytical skills to assess external policies and trends when reviewing policy/programme options, pros, cons and recommendations;
- Ability to synthesize complex information gathered from a variety of external and internal sources and disseminate it to others in a logical manner;
- Ability to apply appropriate methodology to discover or identify policy issues and resource concerns.
- Ability to evaluate, incorporate, and communicate the latest developments in specialty area using institution/agency guidelines and criteria;
- Develop interpersonal, negotiation, networking and presentation skills with proven abilities to influence, explain complex information and demonstrate empathy and open-mindedness;
- Ability to demonstrate operational proficiency in the use of computer in communicating using technology tools;
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both written and verbal expressions;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in two of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of a third language will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of internal planning cycles and ability to contribute to the development and to implement Community-wide or institution policy by determining target audience, building coalitions with the appropriate population, and monitor progress;
- Ability to consider external circumstances, factors and trends when organizing project activities to ensure the best outcome;
- Ability to review process outcome, correspondence, reports, and policy documents to develop achievable plans;
- Ability to conduct meetings with staff, stakeholders, colleagues and others to ascertain organizational program and/or project needs, making adjustments to plans and activities accordingly;
- Ability to adjust project plans based on input from staff and stakeholders and/or ability to design and implement guidelines, tools and templates to accommodate new or revised programs and services.
Annual Salary: UA 56,591.37 / USD 89,289.87
26th September, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation to: TraductENPTP4@ecowas.int using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more Information
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja USD Month