Students applying for the International Master of Science in Rural Development (IMRD) commencing AY 2020/2021 can apply for Erasmus Mundus Scholarships or VLIR-UOS Scholarships. Ghent University also offers Top-up Grants to selected candidates from countries on the OESO-DAC list.
Each year a minimum of the top 15 applicants are selected for Erasmus Mundus scholarships, consisting of 3 European students and 12 non-European students. In addition to these 15, the Management Board may decide to award additional scholarships to applicants from specific regions.
VLIR-UOS scholarships focus on developing and transition regions, awarding scholarships to applicants from eligible countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America to attend the IMRD taught in English at a Flemish university or university college.
Top IMRD applicants are nominated for the Ghent University Top-up Grants.
Ghent University, Belgium
Slovak University of Agriculture, Slovakia
University of Cordoba, Spain
Pisa University, Italy
Agrocampus Quest, France
Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
Field(s) of study: International Master of Science in Rural Development (IMRD)
Number of Scholarships:
Erasmus Mundus: 15
VLIR-UOS: Not specified
Study in: Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Spain
Course starts September 2020
Target group: Erasmus Mundus Scholarships: Applicants from Programme and Partner countries
VLIR-UOS Scholarships: Applicants from developing and transition regions of Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Ghent University Scholarships: Applicants from developing countries.
• Erasmus Mundus: The scholarships include: a contribution to the students’ participation costs (including the tuition fees, library and laboratory costs, full insurance coverage and any other mandatory costs related to the students’ participation in the Master); a contribution to student travel and installation costs; and a monthly subsistence allowance for the entire duration of the study programme. Scholarship benefits vary between Programme and Partner countries.
• VLIR-UOS: It is a full scholarship, covering the tuition fee, travel costs and a monthly allowance of €1150.
• Ghent University Top-up Grants: This is not a full scholarship. The tuition fee is partially waived, and students receive a monthly allowance amounting to €654.
• Erasmus Mundus: Eligible applicants for Partner Country scholarships are students who are not nationals of an EU country, Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein, Turkey or the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM). In addition, they cannot be residents of these countries nor have carried out their main activity (studies, training or work) for more than a total of 12 months over the last 5 years in any of these countries.
Eligible applicants for Programme Country scholarships are all other students who do not meet the criteria for Partner Country scholarships (this includes all nationals of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein, Turkey and FYROM, as well as, people who have spent more than a total of 12 months in the EU over the last 5 years).
• VLIR-UOS: Eligible applicants are students who are nationals and resident in one of the 31 eligible countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America (see the Official Website for list of countries).
• Ghent University Top-up Grants: Top IMRD applicants who are nationals of and resident in countries on the OESO-DAC list.
Scholarship applicants must complete the IMRD application online by 28 February 2020 and submit the supporting documents before 1 March 2020. They need to indicate that they want to apply for a scholarship during the online application for the IMRD course.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
28 February 2020 and submit the supporting documents before 1 March 2020.
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.imrd.ugent.be/tuition-and-scholarships